|This needs a stretch. (Feel to remove when satisfied of completion.)|
Needed: Physical appearance.
The direction finder was a monitor used to track Scooby-Doo's location during a dognapping case.
Insert details here.
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
Scooby-Doo played decoy as a champion show dog to lure out the local dognapper and find the other stolen dogs. Fred Jones tucked a transmitter into his fancy-looking new dog collar to keep a tab on his location when the dognapper eventually caught him and took Scooby back to his hideout. The transmitter was connected to an antenna mounted on top of the Mystery Machine which was in turned connected to a monitor which showed a technical read-out of where he was. Not knowing Scooby's cover was blown, all they knew was he was being taken to Indian Gap where the Midnight Express was soon to be passing over.
- The surveillance equipment is too sophisticated to be brought from a store, and even if it could the gang wouldn't likely be able to afford it. Of course, there's Daphne Blake's vast wealth (which hadn't been established yet), but she didn't seem to use it at any time for a case no matter how necessary it may have been. Velma Dinkley is supposed to be capable of building sometimes highly advanced inventions, but that wasn't established at this point and was even strongly suggested in Spooky Space Kook, but retconning it may be a possible solution.
- The antenna is apparently wireless because it's not attached to the direction finder or anything.
- Velma Dinkley is not wearing her headphones when Fred announces to her and Daphne that they have arrived on Beach Boulevard.
- Velma said the signal representing Scooby was moving awfully fast when in fact it wasn't "moving" at all. The signal flashing fast could compensate for that.
- It's unknown if the other equipment inside the Mystery Machine besides the direction was actually being used in junction with it or just there for show (to make the gang look more professional). Presumably it was the former.
- Perhaps due to toon physics, Velma (as well as Daphne if she was using it in the Mystery Machine as it was moving) can stay on a wheeled chair with ease as the Mystery Machine is in motion
- Interestingly enough, as Shaggy Rogers is telling Fred about his encounter with the Ghost of Geronimo, the additional equipment in the Mystery Machine is missing.