The gang anticipate the opening of a theme park while clam collecting on a nearby beach. But when the theme parks lights come on and the rides start running, even though the park is supposed to be closed, they try to find out who is doing it and find the shenanigans are being caused by a fast-moving robot.
Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby are clam-hunting on the beach when the nearby amusement park mysteriously starts running, lights, rides and all. Velma states that the carnival was not supposed to open for another week. The gang checks it out and split up. Surprisingly, the gang is able to order food and play games, but there is nobody around. Everything is running with no operators or cashiers.
Scooby and Shaggy then catch sight of a fleeting figure dash across the aisle. They chase it into the Hall of Mirrors, but flee from it. Fred, Daphne and Velma catch sight of the robotic man on the ferris wheel, but when the ride comes back down, the man is nowhere to be seen. As they wonder at this, the lights and rides shut down all around the park. Mystery Inc. heads to the caretaker's house, Mr. and Ms. Jenkins and explain their story, but the caretakers dismiss it and send the kids off.
The teens decide to stake out the carnival. Soon enough, the lights and rides come back on, but this time, everything is going haywire, like the stalls spitting out huge amounts of food and the rides running backwards. The gang chases the robot into the Tunnel of Love, but the gang's boat crashes. Then, the robot gives chase to Shaggy and Scooby on the roller coaster, and the two narrowly escape. Then, the robot dives off the roller coaster and crashes through the roof of a tent. When the gang enter the tent, the robot is gone.
They decide to try to capture the robot with an electric kart. But Shaggy accidentally sets it on, and Velma and Scooby go riding off, causing Velma to lose her glasses. The runaway kart causes chaos for a few minutes and finally, Scooby and Velma collide into a huge pile of cotton candy. The gang devise a trap. Scooby lures the robot into a crate, Scooby is lifted up out of a trapdoor by a basket and the robot is captured. Scooby goes off, and the robot finds him, chases him through the Wax Museum and finally they lead him into the crate but the robot breaks out and slams through a brick wall and is gone. Then, Mr. Jenkins appears and explains he created Charlie the robot to help run the amusement park when Mr. Jenkins was busy. But somehow, the robot got out of control.
Setting up a Jeep rigged with a powerful magnet, the gang with Jenkins sets out to find Charlie. The magnet begins to work, but all of a sudden, the magnet stops working and then the robot short-circuits and it is evident now that the cable has been cut. Scooby discovers a person lurking by a fence, and Ms. Jenkins steps out with wire cutters. She confesses that she was the one who caused Charlie to go out of control. She didn't think that robots should operate in a place where children dwell and wanted the robot to be ended. It ends with Scooby getting his ears scratched by the robot.
Cast and characters
|Don Messick|| Scooby-Doo|
|Casey Kasem||Shaggy Rogers|
|Frank Welker||Fred Jones|
|Stefanianna Christopherson||Daphne Blake|
|Nicole Jaffe||Velma Dinkley|
|Jean Vander Pyl||Sarah Jenkins|
|Charlie the Funland Robot|
- Charlie the Funland Robot
- Sarah Jenkins (redeemed)
|Mr. Jenkins||He sent the kids off.|
|Sarah Jenkins||Sabotaged Charlie because she did not like robots around kids.|
- Caretakers place and workshop
- First episode in the whole series/franchise where the villain was not someone in disguise, and when the villain was something non-human (though there was a human behind the whole scheme).
- The following scenes are used in the opening and closing credits of season 1:
- Scooby-Doo licking all the cotton candy off of himself; this is the last scene used.
- Scooby-Doo running with a barrel and crashing into the robot.
- Charlie appears in Scooby-Doo! Night of 100 Frights.
- Charlie also appears in Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated at the Crystal Cove Spook Museum as a display item.
- The eerie robot music whenever Charlie the Robot walks is from The Jetsons.
- Disguises: Wax museum exhibits
- Food: Hot dogs; malts; cotton candy
- There are no Scooby Snacks and Shaggy doesn't say "zoinks".
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- There are two sets of balls on the counter, which randomly disappear and reappear, as well as the number of balls being inconsistent.
- When Daphne asks if they should re-stack the bottles for the ball toss game, her headband is green instead of purple.
- Daphne's sclera are white (when they should actually be flesh-coloured), when she comments on what such a cute doll Fred won and then immediately after when she and Velma react to the cash register working by itself.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- The reflection of Scooby's dog tag should be reversed in the funhouse mirror, but it isn't.
- The steam locomotive was running without an engineer and fireman.
- When a stuffed bear lands on Scooby's back and runs yelling, "Relp! Raggy, rhe's got me!", his mouth never moves.
- The roller coaster is full of errors: Shaggy and Scooby hide in one of the middle seats, but they're on the front car when the rest of the gang sees them. They also manage to changed sides at some point during the ride. When they leap into another coaster, they land in the first car, but when it stops, they are in the middle. The robot begins his ride in the last seat, from which he begins climbing toward to Shaggy and Scooby. No matter how far he climbs, he never gets any closer to them, but is shown in the last seat again.
In other languages
|Greek|| Περιπέτεια στο Λούνα Παρκ|
Πρόβλημα στην Παιχνιδούπολη
| An Adventure in the Amusement Park|
Trouble at Toyland
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons DVD set released March 16, 2004.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: Volume 2 - Bump in the Night DVD set released January 27, 2009.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series DVD set released November 9, 2010.
- Scooby-Doo! and the Robots DVD compilation set released August 30, 2011.
- Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales: Ruh-Roh Robot! compilation DVD set released September 24, 2013.
Never Ape an Ape Man
The Backstage Rage