Scooby and the gang investigate the happenings of several freighters that are getting raided by the ghost of Redbeard the pirate and his crew.
Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby are at the Malt Shop when they read in the newspaper about the ghost pirate of Redbeard that has been ruining the business of C.L. Magnus, who owns several freighters that are getting hijacked. The gang goes to see Mr. Magnus at his apartment, but his butler turns them away. They must sneak in as room service. The gang finally gets to see Mr. Magnus and he explains to Mystery Inc. the history of Redbeard the pirate that about 300 hundred years ago, Redbeard was a terrorist of the seven seas, but Mr. Magnus's ancestors brought him to justice. Now his ghost came back for vengeance. Then, the gang goes out on the marina in a speedboat and try to lure Redbeard to the speedboat, but instead, they ram the ghost pirate ship and clamber aboard, splitting up.
Shaggy and Scooby run into Redbeard and flee but they are attacked by a flying sword. Redbeard and his two pirate henchmen capture Shaggy and Scooby, and Velma, Daphne and Fred find tubs of dry ice inside a storeroom. Redbeard spares them the plank and forces Shaggy and Scooby to cook him some stew. Shaggy and Scooby make him stew out of ashes, soap, cobwebs and chains. Redbeard forces them to eat it and they do, but the soap causes them to blow bubbles so they create a bubble screen and flee. Hiding from his two henchmen, Shaggy dons a paper pirate hat and imitates Redbeard, fooling the henchman with his shadow and eerily accurate imitation.
Shaggy and Scooby accidentally fall overboard, and Velma, Daphne, and Fred see them through a porthole, but the boat takes off and Shaggy and Scooby follow the ghost ship all the way to a hidden cave where Fred, Daphne, and Velma are chained up. They escape and meet up with Shaggy and Scooby, but find a clue on Shaggy's paper pirate hat. On the hat, is a list of the cargo that was on the freighter that was hijacked and how much the cargo was worth. The gang navigates through the caves and enter a cavern full of the stolen cargo -- and Redbeard and his crew! A chase ensues with the pirates and the ghost sword and eventually, with the help of Shaggy, Scooby and a jackhammer, Redbeard is captured and he is unmasked as C.L. Magnus.
He was about to lose his business if he didn't come up with some money. So he raided his own ships and was going to sell the cargo. The ghost sword was operated by wires and the dry ice made the eerie fog.
Cast and characters
- Ghost of Redbeard/C.L. Magnus
- Redbeard's crew (C.L. Magnus's henchmen)
|Butler||Spooky manner. As his boss spoke with the kids, he creepily spied on them from behind a curtain.|
| C.L. Magnus as Ghost of Redbeard|
Hired henchmen as Redbeard's crew
|To steal cargo from his own ships, for insurance.|
- Redbeard the Pirate is a reference to Blackbeard, the famous pirate.
- This is the first Skull Island in the regular continuity, the second being in The Scooby-Doo Show episode, The Creepy Case of Old Iron Face. Angie Dinkley also mentions one in the Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated episode, The Secret Serum.
- The print featured on Boomerang reruns of the episode has a noticeably higher pitch, due to it being an older print that is in the PAL format (rather than NTSC.) It also lacks the laugh track, and ends with the original 1969 Hanna-Barbera logo (other episodes on Boomerang reruns end with a 1994 Hanna-Barbera "All-Stars" action-themed logo, while the DVDs use the original H-B logos.)
- Adapted into the comic book story "The Ghost Of Redbeard" (Gold Key issue #6, June 1971; reprinted in issue #26, August 1974).
- This is the first episode in which the Gang are actually directly threatened with death.
- The password to the secret entrance is "Yum, yum, yum and a Liverwurst A La Mode", referring to a sandwich which appeared previously in Scooby Doo and a Mummy, Too and was seemingly invented by Shaggy and/or Scooby, which makes it even more strange that it was part of the password.
- In this episode, Velma unmasks the ghost.
- Disguises: Redbeard (silhouette, in paper pirate hat)
- Food: Super-duper sandwich; ghost pirate stew; liverwurst sandwich
- Scooby Snacks: One full box
- Zoinks: 5
- Yoinks: 1
- Gang way: 1
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- The tiny patch of fur visible through the ring in Scooby's dogtag is not brown.
- Scooby's tag turns yellow.
- Velma's eyes are not visible through her glasses.
- The pencil simply vanishes from Scooby's paw.
- When the Butler opens the door the first time, Daphne's eyes go all the way down to her nose.
- The pirates cast their shadows on Shag and Scooby, who themselves have no shadows.
- Redbeard hands Shaggy and Scooby a bowl with a spoon, but there are two spoons in the very next shot.
- When he falls, Shaggy loses his apron, but has it again in the close-up.
- When Shag and Scoob walk the plank, we see the splash before we hear it.
- The pirate ship is about to enter the cave when the camera cuts away, then cuts back to see the ship farther away than before.
- When Shaggy is making the paper pirate hat, his leg vanishes from behind the table.
- The pink is lost from Daphne's lips.
- Neither Daphne nor Freddy move their lips when they say "moe".
- There are actually no tire tracks leading to the chest.
- In one long shot, the treasure chest has straps connected to the open lid. They aren't there in any of the other shots.
- The pirate crew's outfits change in a few scenes.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- The first time the Gang ring Mr Magnus' doorbell, the Butler opens the door and tells them no visitors are allowed. The second time, he lets them open the door themselves and allows them to walk straight in, something he is not supposed to do considering Magnus was unwilling to see anybody.
- Velma mistakes Redbeard's laugh for Freddy's.
- The flying sword somehow comes right through a closed door. Although the solution to the mystery states that the sword is on wires, perhaps in this scene it is really a projection. Except the scene ends with a sword stuck in the door, making a very realistic "thunk".
- Furthermore, the door it gets lodged in was previously closed and skewered by another sword, yet when Shaggy and Scooby run back to it it's open again, with no sword.
- One henchman has a pistol stuck in his belt, which he never uses. It may have been a dummy, for show.
- When Scooby and Shaggy are first caught, they are accosted by three Pirates, before cutting away to Fred, Daphne and Velma. When it returns to Shaggy and Scooby, only Redbeard is present.
- Shaggy and Scooby hide in a crate which is only half full of Scooby Snacks boxes, and the one box is opened already. Have the pirates been snacking on the loot?
- Shaggy, Scooby, and Redbeard are almost at the stack of tires when the camera cuts to Velma, yet it takes a while for them to collide.
- It's unclear whether Mr. Magnus's henchmen are wearing masks throughout the episode or are displaying their true faces. Apparently, they did not seem intriguing enough, as their unspecified reasoning for being there is trivialized by Daphne, simply remarking, "Hired henchmen I guess".
- Scooby-Doo touches dry ice with his bare paws, a good way to get frostbite.
In other languages
|Greek||Το Πλοίο-Φάντασμα||The Ghost Ship|
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons DVD set released March 16, 2004. For unknowns reason this episode is switched with the next episode and the mistake is carried over onto the complete series set listed below, fortunately the series lacks any continuity between episodes so no real harm is done.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: Volume 4 - Spooked Bayou DVD released October 19, 2010.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You: The Complete Series DVD set released November 9, 2010.
- Scooby-Doo! and the Pirates DVD compilation set released August 30, 2011.
Shaggy: The sea water's boiling, Scoob, I wonder what pirates like in their stew.
Shaggy: Hey yeah, ghosts like chains, and what else? Oh yeah, some ashes from the stove, you know this could be real good? What else do pirates like?
Shaggy: Cobwebs! Aha, delightful. Now did we forget anything?
Shaggy: Soap? I hardly use it myself, but why not?
- Buy from iTunes (US)
Which Witch is Which?
Spooky Space Kook