|This needs a stretch.|
After the gang votes on their destination they end up at the annual dog show courtesy of Scooby. There Shaggy runs into an old acquaintance Meadow and her dog, M'Lady Moonbeam. However, the gang then has an unpleasant run-in with a cat creature who seems bent on ruining the dog-show and stealing the puppies of former winner dog, Crissie.
Insert details here.
- Mr. B (first appearance)
- Crissie (first appearance)(no lines)
- Secret Six (first appearance)
- Sylvie (single appearance)
- Cat Creature (single appearance)(no lines)(disguise)/
- Meadow (single appearance)
- Scooby-Doo impostor (single appearance)(no lines)(disguise)/
- M'Lady Moonbeam (single appearance)(no lines)
- Scar (single appearance)
- Skull (single appearance)
- Miscellaneous dog owners (single appearance)(no lines)
- Miscellaneous dogs (single appearance)(no lines)
- Pointdexter Tiberius Sparkle (single appearance)(no lines)
- Security guard (single appearance)(no lines)
- Security guard's dog (single appearance)(no lines)
- Crow (single appearance)(no lines)
- Count von Jones (only time mentioned)
- P.A. announcer (only time heard)
- Kitten (single appearance)(no lines)
- Mukluk Gardens
- Count von Jones's castle (mentioned)
- Coffin factory (mentioned)
- Count von Jones's museum (mentioned)
- Scar and Skull's hideout
- Opi Shi Falls Sawmill and Juice Bar
- Shagsmans Fields (mentioned)
- The Mystery Machine
- Scar and Skull's car
|Sylvie||Her discontent about her job.|
|Meadow as the Cat Creature||She wanted her dog's competition out of the way|
|Scar and Skull||Dog-napped the puppies while the Cat Creature created a distraction, for hire.|
|M'Lady Moonbeam||Helped the dog-nappers by intimidating Crissie and then confused the gang by impersonating Scooby-Doo, since her Great Dane disguise was made to look exactly like him, out of obedience to Meadow|
|Song||Credits||Performed by||Character performance by|
|"Now I Wanna Be A Good Boy"||Written by Douglas Colvin, John Cummings, Thomas Erdelyi, and Jeff Hyman||The Ramones||N/A|
- When the gang arrive at Mukluk Gardens, a dog with strong resemblance to Scooby-Dee (i.e. white fur, pink collar, and heart-shaped dogtag), is shown briefly outside of the dog show arena. Scooby-Dee is the cousin of Scooby-Doo, and appeared in an episode of The Scooby-Doo Show.
- Shaggy has always eaten Scooby Snacks because it seemed that they could be eaten by humans as well, but here, he tries to eat a non-Scooby Snack dog treat.
- Nancy Chang (from There's No Creature Like Snow Creature and Riva Ras Regas) may have also made a (non-speaking) cameo reporting on the second attack of the Cat Creature, which led to the Secret Six's capture. But she is not wearing purple like she did in her previous appearance and her the next cameo she has in a later episode.
- The episode title comes from Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, in which a group of animals trek across country to get home. Scooby emulates this with his journey with the puppies away from the kidnappers.
- A woman dog-napping puppies with the help of two hired thugs also echoes 101 Dalmatians.
- Mr. B is physically based on Joseph Barbera, the co-founder of Hanna-Barbera, as well as contributing to the idea for this episode. "Mr. B" is also a nickname for Mr. Barbera.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- If it really was Scooby-Dee at the dog show then it would seem odd that she wouldn't have been spotted by the gang.
- Meadow had no idea that Scooby-Doo would be involved until the last minute. How in the world was she able to improvise a convincing disguise for M'Lady Moonbeam in the short time before the dog show began? (Possibly she realized a big, intimidating dog would be useful in separating the puppies from their mother, and had a generic Great Dane disguise all ready. Then all she would need to do would be to paint on spots to match his markings.)
- By the time Scar and Skull leave Mukluk Gardens and get to their hideout (which didn't take very long), the latter is reading a newspaper that already reports on the dognapping.
- At the end of the episode, Mr. B announces Scooby's full name and address as Scooby Doobus from Shagsmans Fields (possibly some kind of reference to Shaggy and/or his family, which contradicts what was given in A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, where he was called Scoobert Doo and was born on Knittingham Puppy Farm. The DTV short film, Scooby-Doo! and the Beach Beastie, would contradict this episode, and give his full name as Scoobert von Dooenheimer. Both full names may explain the (hyphenated) nickname of "Scooby-Doo". Announcing him this way be in reference to how certain dogs were referred to (e.g. M'Lady Moonbeam of Monterey), although it's unknown why he couldn't have just said the correct name and place if this is the case. Scooby also didn't recognise his name either, but this was just playing on him not being used to it, just as nobody knew that "Norville" was Shaggy's real name in A Terrifying Round with a Menacing Metallic Clown (not even his friends).
- Scooby winning best in show seems to be an honorable one, as the Secret Six join him on stage, as they were presumably the real winners (the competition must've finally got going after the Cat Creature was caught). The fact that they've won is clear, as Mr. B uses the money won from the dog show to buy a farm in Farmed & Dangerous. Them winning, however, contradicts what Mr. B said about them one day becoming grand champions, implying he had no intention of entering them yet, and he's only there to show off last year's winner, Crissie's puppies. Even though it's said Crissie is the defending champion, it's implied that having puppies has put her in retirement.
In other languages
|Arabic||معرض الكلاب||The Dog Show|
|Greek|| Διεθνής Έκθεση Σκύλων|
Λαγωνικό για Σπίτι
| International Dog Contest|
Hound for Home
- What's New Scooby-Doo?: Volume 4 - Merry Scary Holiday VHS released by Warner Home Video on October 5, 2004.
- What's New Scooby-Doo?: Volume 4 - Merry Scary Holiday DVD released by Warner Home Video on October 5, 2004.
- What's New, Scooby-Doo?: Complete 2nd Season DVD set released by Warner Home Video on June 7, 2007.
- Scooby-Doo! and the Safari Creatures DVD set released by Warner Home Video on March 6, 2012.
Shaggy: Like, we're not even waiting the monsters to find us anymore, are we?
Shaggy: If there are two things I know, they are "Scooby-Doo".
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|A Scooby-Doo Halloween|| What's New, Scooby-Doo?|
|The San Franpsycho|