Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Mystery Solvers Club State Finals is interrupted by Lord Infernicus, a maniac monster who can produce fire. He captures all the humans in groups, leaving the mascots to save the day.
Scooby has a fever, preventing the gang from attending the Mystery Solvers Club State Finals, a party for other teams of meddling kids. While Fred goes to "grieve", Scooby falls asleep (while being upset from Velma calling him a sidekick).
In Scooby's dream, Scooby has been cured and is well enough to go to the party. He goes downstairs and tells the gang the wonderful news. The gang then drives to school, where the party is being held. There, Scooby meets the other mascots; Jabberjaw, the Funky Phantom, Speed Buggy and Captain Caveman.
Just as the principal is about to announce the teams and tonight's mystery, a fire skeleton named Lord Infernicus shows up and kidnaps everyone except the mascots, Angel and the principal. He gives them till midnight to find the kids or they'll never be seen again. They form a plan to solve the mystery and find the kids; Speed Buggy, Principal Quinlan and Angel will go reactivate the communications with the outside world (which Infernicus has blocked) and Scooby, Jabberjaw, Captain Caveman and Funky Phantom will go look for clues as to where their friends are.
Scooby sniffs out some shavings left on the floor, leading to the science lab. They get inside and see that their friends have turned into hamsters. Scooby however, is suspicious and gives the Shaggy hamster a Scooby Snack, which is thrown at him. Scooby realizes that this isn't Shaggy and decides to keep searching. Scooby and Funky Phantom then have an argument and Funky Phantom claims he can solve the mystery instead and heads to library to find a way to change the gang back. While he leaves, Infernicus comes back and gloats over his supposed victory to the protagonists.
Scooby then finds a schedule for the docks left on the floor and concludes that's where their friends are. Speed Buggy, Angel and Principal Quinlan arrive and Scooby shows them the clue they found and they drive to the docks to find the others.
They arrive at the docks where the kids are trapped in a gigantic crate. While Angel, Scooby and Quinlan throw off the car with the hamsters, Jabberjaw and Captain Caveman manage to capture Infernicus and free the kids.
Scooby unmasks Infernicus, who is revealed to be Funky Phantom all along. Funky Phantom was tired of being the mascot and wanted to start his own team of meddling kids. His plan was to disguise himself as a fire skeleton, kidnap the meddling kids, replace them with hamsters (so the mascots would be helpless) and send them back to Africa where they belong. It was a foolproof plan and it would've worked if Scooby and the other sidekicks didn't interfere. Funky Phantom's ghost cat, Boo gets angry and scratches him for abducting him. Just as the kids start cheering for the mascots, Scooby faints and the dream ends.
Scooby wakes up and finds out his adventure was just a dream all along. Scooby is ashamed that he caused them to miss the party, but Daphne explains that they called the finals and had them move the finals to next week, enough time for Scooby to get better (Fred doesn't know about this). The chairman of the finals arrives and scares Scooby because he looks exactly like Funky Phantom.
- Scooby-Doo (also dream)
- Shaggy Rogers (also dream)
- Fred Jones, Jr. (also dream)
- Daphne Blake (also dream)
- Velma Dinkley (also dream)
- Speed Buggy (single appearance)(dream only)
- Captain Caveman (single appearance)(dream only)
- Jabberjaw (single appearance)(dream only)
- Principal Quinlan (single appearance)(dream only)
- Angel Dynamite (dream only)
- Lord Infernicus (single appearance)(Funky Phantom's disguise)(dream only)(main story and flashback)
- Funky Phantom (single appearance)(dream only)(main story and flashback)
- Teen Angels (single appearance)(dream only)(cameo)
- Funky Phantom group (single appearance)(dream only)(main story and flashback)(cameo)
- April Stewart (single appearance)(dream only)(main story and flashback)(cameo)(unnamed)
- Skip Gilroy (single appearance)(dream only)(main story and flashback)(cameo)(unnamed)
- Augie Anderson (single appearance)(dream only)(main story and flashback)(cameo)(unnamed)
- Boo (single appearance)(dream only)(main story and flashback)(cameo)
- Elmo (single appearance)(no lines)(dream only)(main story and flashback)(cameo)(unnamed)
- Speed Bugs (single appearance)(dream only)(cameo)(unnamed)
- Neptunes (single appearance)(dream only)(cameo)(unnamed)
- Fred Jones, Sr. (mentioned)
- Guinea pigs (single appearance)(no lines)
- Sheriff Bronson Stone (dream only)
- Chairman (single appearance)
- Crystal Cove
- Coffee shop (Dream)
- Chuckle Hut (Dream)
- Chicken soup
- Scooby Snack (dream only)
- Speed Buggy toy
- Captain Caveman toy
- Jabberjaw toy
- The Mystery Machine (dream only)
- Looney Duney (dream only)
- Speed Buggy (dream only)
- Neptunemobile (dream only)
|Funky Phantom as Lord Infernicus (dream)||To become a leading investigator instead of a sidekick.|
- The word "photosynthesis" is written on the classroom board, first seen written by Professor Raffalo in the series pilot.
- This episode focuses on something entirely unrelated to the plot of the series.
- This is the first time another Hanna-Barbera character turns out to be the culprit. Of course, this was just a dream.
- This is the last time Jabberjaw, Captain Caveman, Speed Buggy and Funky Phantom have appeared in animation, as of the present time.
- The dream sequence is not only a spoof of mystery-solving shows that Hanna-Barbera did after Scooby-Doo (with some exceptions) but also the designs back then, resembling mostly Iwao Takamoto's work.
- Speed Buggy, Jabberjaw, Captain Caveman and Jonthan Wellington Muddlemore (the "Funky Phantom") are based off their original counterparts, all of whom (except the Funky Phantom) had appeared amongst Scooby-Doo in the Laff-a-Lympics TV series, as members of the Scooby Doobies; Speed Buggy had also appeared in an episode of The New Scooby-Doo Movies. JWM and Speed Buggy also showed up in issue 50 of DC Comics's Scooby-Doo, where they teamed up to break Mystery Inc. out of jail.
- The flashback in Funky Phantom's story is based off of the intro of his series. Only in Scooby's dream is he called "Funky Phantom"; in the real HB show, that was only used as a description in the aforementioned intro. In the show, he was nicknamed "Mudsy" after his full name Jonathan Wellington Muddlemore, which the Mystery Incorporated incarnation reveals in his exposition, his teammates just ignorantly called him Funky Phantom and didn't bother to ask him what his name was. It is also worth noting that in the actual show, Mudsy actually was the hero and not the sidekick (Elmo and Boo were the sidekicks).
- Suzie from The Amazing Chan Clan (another one of HB's many Scooby-Doo clones) makes a cameo in JWM's flashback. It is unknown if this is the same girl resembling Suzie from other episodes.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- Daphne's sleeve is blue instead of purple before Fred goes off to "grieve."
- Fred's eyebrows are yellow when he says "What are we waiting for, gang?"
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Shaggy's missing from the gang's table when the principal opens the folder.
- Elmo doesn't appear until Lord Infernicus appears for the first time to make the kids disappear.
- Even though Mark, Debbie, Tinker, Boo and Elmo are kidnapped as well, they don't have guinea pig counterparts.
- JWM is revealed to not be a real ghost, which doesn't make sense because he can fly and is white. Then again, this was just a dream, so it didn't have to make sense.
- Gary Cole is credited as Mayor Fred Jones, Sr. and "Black Knight" despite neither character appearing; Mayor Jones, however, is mentioned by Principal Quinlan.
In other languages
|Italy||Finali Nazionali Dei Risolutori Di Misteri||Mystery Solvers Club State Finals|
|Hungarian||A Rejtélyfejtő Bajnokság döntője||The Mystery Solver Championship Final|
|Greek||Τελικός Πολιτιακών Αγώνων Μυστηρίου||Mystery State Finals Race|
|French||La Finale des Amateurs de Mystère||Mystery Amateurs Finals|
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: Season One, Part 2 - Crystal Cove Curse DVD set released by Warner Home Video on January 24, 2012.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The Complete Season 1 DVD set released by Warner Home Video on October 8, 2013.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystères associés: L'intégrale de la saison 1 (Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The entirety of season 1) DVD set released by Warner Home Video on October 3, 2012.
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|When the Cicada Calls|| Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated|
|The Wild Brood|