The gang decide to visit Jimmy Proudwolf, an old friend of Shaggy's, and Jimmy's dog, Shooby, while driving through New Mexico on their way to an art show in Santa Fe. The two dogs are having fun, herding sheep until the giant hawk who grabbed the climber flies towards them. The rest of the gang comes out to fend off the hawk but it snatches Shaggy art project for the International art show. Then a bird watcher, Avery Orenthal comes to find the hawk himself.
In a sweat lodge, a strange shaman tells the gang that the giant hawk called the Wakumi is a legendary bird. When the shaman finishes the story, the gang decide to solve the riddle of the Wakumi. When they start, they find Shaggy's art project being dropped and shattered in front of them then the Wakumi attacks. When they escape, Avery shows up again, having heard the commotion. When he hears that the Wakumi has flown upt the mountain, he drives off. The gang climbs up the mountain with the help from a brilliant mountain climber named Cody long. Daphne finds an oxygen tank on a ledge. Then the Wakumi snatches Daphne and the gang decide to rescue her. They've been climbing up the mountain all day and the Shaman warns the gang to give up. But the gang refuses because they can't turn back if they want to get to Daphne.
The gang gets chased by the Wakumi again. When they finally get to the top, they notice soldiers are researching a big meteaor. They begin sneaking around when they spot Avery in a tree who accidently interrupts the soldiers research using a mating call. The gang get away and find Daphne locked up with the mountain climber who was grabbed by the Waumi. The climber's name is Leon Strongfeather. Fred tries to get the prisoners free but the Wakumi attacks again. When they escape, Fred builds a hang glider and they fly away and save Daphne and Leon. When the Wakumi attacks, Scooby-Doo falls from the hang glider and lands on the Wakumi who, unable to bear Scooby's weight, crashes to the ground. The gang find out the Wakumi is a great big glider made over to look like an eagle. and Daphne notices the air bottles like the one she found. They were for breathing in the high altitude and they unmask the Wakumi. Unfortunately, it is nobody the gang has ever met. Scooby puts the shaman's mask on the man and The culprit tells the gang his name is Col. Henry Thornwald who is head of the research group the gang found earlier. The meteor was kept top secret. He explains that he's the one who dressed up as the Shaman to make up legends about the Wakumi and to prevent people from noticing the meteor.
Avery is disappointed that the Wakumi is a legend until Velma gives the Wakumi's head to Avery. Jimmy and Shooby come out and give them a dreamcatcher and a box of Shooby Snax. Shaggy just wishes that he still had his sculpture of Scoob for the exhibit tomorrow but Jimmy tells him to think back to "Their days in the sandbox". That night, it is revealed that Shaggy has made Scooby pose as a life-like statue (colored in sand) for the exhibit. Meanwhile, unknown to all, a bright light flashes in the sky, before racing away.
- Leon Strongfeather (single appearance)
- Jimmy Proudwolf (single appearance)
- Shooby (single appearance)(no lines)
- Avery Orenthal (single appearance)
- Cody Long (single appearance)
- Wakumi (single appearance)(no lines)(Henry Thornwald's disguise)
- Shaman (single appearance)(Henry Thornwald's disguise)
- Henry Thornwald (single appearance)
- Road Runner (single appearance)(unnamed)(cameo)
- Wile E. Coyote (single appearance)(no lines)(unnamed)(cameo)
- Sheep (single appearance)(no lines)
- Tweety (single appearance)(photograph)(unnamed)(cameo)
- New Mexico
- Redwood Rabbit Daycare Center (mentioned)
|Avery Orenthal||He always seemed to show up just after the Wakumi.|
|Cody Long||She didn't want bring the gang on the top of the mountain.|
|Shaman||He warned the gang to give up.|
|Col. Henry Thornwald as the Wakumi and the Shaman||To keep people away from a secret government project.|
- There is a cameo appearance by Looney Tunes stars, Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner. Also, one of the rare birds on Avery Orenthal's check-list is Tweety Bird.
- A pictograph chief looks like Fred Flintstone.
In other languages
|Greek|| Το Φάντασμα του Μεξικού|
Το Αρχαίο Τέρας του Νέου Μεξικού
| The Ghost of Mexico|
The Ancient Monster of New Mexico
- What's New, Scooby-Doo?: Complete 2nd Season DVD set released by Warner Home Video on June 7, 2007.
- Scooby-Doo! and the Safari Creatures DVD set released by Warner Home Video March 6, 2012.
Henry Thornwald: Nobody's gonna believe a bunch of meddling kids!
- ↑ Archive audio.
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|Uncle Scooby and Antarctica|| What's New, Scooby-Doo?|
|It's All Greek to Scooby-Doo|