A family has booked an extended vacation at the Burlington Library. A robed figure resembling the Egyptian god Anubis transforms into a wolf-like creature and attacks them.
Mystery Incorporated is traveling to a ski resort. However, an avalanche falls on the road directly in front of them, blocking the road and somehow damaging the Mystery Machine. Needing to repair it, Fred drives the van up a hill looking for a place to commence work on it. Finding the Burlington Library, which functions as a free hotel, the gang decides to spend the night there. Dan Fluunk, the manager, shows the gang around the library as he explains its history. Meanwhile, Scooby and Shaggy find the kitchen and begin eating, only to be attacked by the cook, Don Fong, who shapeshifts into a red monster. Scooby and Shaggy escape, and the gang investigates the kitchen only to find no trace of the cook.
Shaggy and Daphne then get ready for bed, and Fred and Scooby work on the Mystery Machine, while Velma goes to the Library to read. Velma is reading when she hears Dean Fenk talking on her phone about taking over the library. Then after that, Daphne gets out of the shower as she is attacked by what looks like a Gorgon. Fred and Scooby come inside after fixing the Mystery Machine and encounter the cranky cook who throws a chicken at them. They leave to check on Shaggy but find his room is locked. When they go to bed, we see Shaggy and Daphne inside the room kissing, but Daphne thinks she's kissing Fred.
Scooby takes a look around trying to find Shaggy. He thinks he finds Shaggy in a bathroom but gets attacked by a figure wearing an Anubis mask. As he runs in fear, he suddenly wakes up to realize he's actually sleeping next to the fire in his room. Velma is in the Library and sees both a stuffed Orangutan attack her and a phantom train driving into the library. Velma runs and finds into Fred and Scooby, they go looking for Shaggy again and Fred busts into Shaggy's room to find Daphne sleeping cozily, snuggled up against Shaggy. After Fred and Scooby recover from the shock, Velma realizes the incidents were the result of inhaling fumes from Terrorwood, and that the monsters were just hallucinations. They set a trap and find that Dan Fluunk was behind the Anubis mask. Dan wanted to force the library to close because he's been in the library ever since he was born, hates it because it's constantly cold, and wasn't allowed to leave unless it closed, he planned to get it closed so he could finally move somewhere warm.
Dean Fenk tells the gang she won't close the library and likes it as is and that she has fallen in love with Don Fong. As they talk to Dean Fenk, a book is thrown from an upstairs window and lands at their feet. This book is a tome on alchemy and was written by the man who created the Planispheric disk. Velma says it's a user manual for the disk.
Cassidy takes pictures of the Darrows from their family archives in Velma's room and places it up on the wall saying out loud to herself that they were also mystery solvers, leaving it up to Velma to figure out.
Cast and characters
- Fiend/Dan Fluunk
|Dan Fluunk||He sinisterly told the gang they could stay at the library for the rest of their lives.|
|Don Fong||Bad attitude. When Scooby and Shaggy go off to eat they are apparently attacked by him after he turns into a red creature.|
|Dean Fenk||Strangely sneaking around. She said the library would soon be under her control. Her university would benefit if the library closed.|
|Dan Fluunk as the Fiend||To scare everyone away so the library could close.|
- This is the first episode of Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated that doesn't give an identifiable name to the featured monster, the credits only refer to it as "Fiend".
- Velma has a poster of the Hex Girls on her bedroom wall; they appeared in the flesh in In Fear Of The Phantom.
- The Darrow family are revealed to be mystery solvers who called themselves the "Mystery Fellowship" before their house sunk into the ground which happened in Escape From Mystery Manor.
- This episode was aired in Latin America on November 3, 2012.
- The winter outfits the gang wears are the same ones their original incarnation wore back in the Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episode, That's Snow Ghost.
- Scooby's hallucination in the bathroom is a clear reference to the shower scene from The Shining.
- The wood that produces toxic/hallucinogenic smoke is similar to the plant root in the Sherlock Holmes story, The Adventure of the Devil's Foot.
- In this episode the gang learns that every mystery-solving group that has a portrait in the library included four people and a pet mascot.
- This episode shows the first-ever kiss between Shaggy and Daphne (both were under the influence of hallucinogenic wood and thought the circumstances were different; Daphne would have reconciled with Fred had the circumstances been what she thought).
- This episode was included in Cartoon Network's Scooby-Doo! Back to School Marathon (August 10-11, 2013).
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- In the scene where Daphne and Shaggy kiss near the fireplace, Daphne's bathrobe was purple instead of yellow.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- There is an odd timing problem with the contents of the Burlington Library being willed to Darrow University if the library should ever close. Mr. Burlington must have made that will in the 1880's, but Darrow University was built on top of the site of the old Darrow Mansion, which sunk into the ground "almost 75 years ago," according to Velma (Escape From Mystery Manor). How could the library be willed to a university that didn't yet exist? Perhaps there was an earlier version of the university on a different site.
In other languages
|Italian||Il Mistero Del Castello||Mystery of the Castle|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Terrores Nocturnos||Nocturn Terrors|
|Greek||Ο Τρόμος της Νύχτας||The Terror of the Night|
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: Season Two, Part 1 - Danger in the Deep DVD set released November 13, 2012.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The Complete Season 2 DVD set released October 7, 2014.
The Midnight Zone