|This needs a stretch. (Feel to remove when satisfied of completion.)|
Needed: Synopsis is incomplete.
|A haunting need for images|
Needed: Main Image
Scooby is having nightmares with "the dancing man", and Annunaki Nova. When suddenly his dreams get worse he runs into the once defeated Freak of Crystal Cove—now more scary than ever.
The next morning, Scooby wakes up, and panics to the gang about his dream. The gang shows Scooby a book about "supernatural curses", with a picture of the author on the back; Professor Horatio Kharon, university hypno-therapist, who studied the supernatural. Scooby recognizes him as "the dancing man" in his dreams.
Later on, they drove down to see Prof. Kharon to see if he could shed some light on Scooby's nightmares. Velma thinks the idea is crazy; she never believed in real monsters. When the gang arrived at Prof. Kharon's mansion, he first yelled at them to leave. But when Scooby told him that he was in his nightmares, he let them come in.
When they met, the gang saw that the professor had pictures of "the Monstrous Freak" on his walls, seeing them in his nightmares. The professor kept yelling at them, but then calmed down. He lost "the best part of him", which is the man Scooby sees in his dreams, dancing. Then, he told the gang about "the Sitting room", a waiting room between time, space, and different dimensions. He said that they would find the answers "to whatever it is they need to find" there. Hypnosis was the way to enter the Sitting room, that's how Horatio's "best part" got trapped there. He also warned Scooby that if "the Monstrous Freak" got him in his dreams, he will never wake up. He pointed out to the gang that they need to find the monster's "true identity" and it will be defeated.
The professor had the gang lie down on the floor, in a circle. He gave Velma a talisman to give to his "other self" when time was up. He gave them one hour to confront the Monstrous Freak, and after that, there was no coming back. He pressed a button on his desk, and a big hypno-wheel, lowered from the ceiling, over the gang, spinning. Slowly, the gang were hypnotized into a deep sleep. Then, Prof. Kharon started counting the hour . . .
The next minute, the gang found themselves in the Sitting room, surrounded by the "best parts" of other people, trapped there by the cursed treasure. They looked like the old Mystery Inc, Ed Machine, and ex-Mayor Jones. Fred thought that "Mayor Dad" has something to do with the Monstrous Freak, being the one they unmasked. The ex-Mayor Jones figure came to life, and told Fred that the Monstrous Freak in Scooby's nightmares inspired his Freak of Crystal Cove idea. Suddenly, the Monstrous Freak appeared, and the gang scattered in different directions. Fred then finds himself in the old west; before him stand the Mystery Gang: four mystery solving cowgirls, and their bull, Tiny, who are using one of the keys, the mortar bowl. Shaggy and Scooby find their way to Spanish Crystal Cove, where they found Alianza Misterio, the mystery solving banditos, and their skunk, El Fuchi. Using the conquistador's helmet. Velma finds the Mystery Fellowship (the Darrow family) using the flintlock. Daphne, appears back at the Burlington Library where the Benevolent Lodge of Mystery had the sailcloth, the 4th key.
Later, the Freak caught up with all of them. The gang got chased to an area where a temple stood; the Freak got weakened by the light (atop the temple), and ran off. The gang met Annunaki Nova, and Velma had a nervous breakdown over things not making sense to her. Annunaki Nova told the gang about the very first group of mystery solvers (immortalized at the top of the temple), the Hunters of Secrets. They attempted to destroy the crystal sarcophagus, and the Evil Entity inside. But were stopped when the conquistadors took it, believing it to be treasure. And it was the Hunters of Secrets' intentions, that led to the other mystery solving groups; including the current Mystery Incorporated.
(This synopsis is incomplete.)
Cast and characters
|Frank Welker|| Scooby-Doo|
Fred Jones, Jr.
Monstrous Freak (dream) (uncredited)
|Matthew Lillard||Shaggy Rogers|
|Grey DeLisle||Daphne Blake|
|Mindy Cohn||Velma Dinkley|
|Amy Acker||Nova (dream)|
|Michael J. Anderson|| Professor Horatio Kharon/|
Dancing Man (dream)
|Gary Cole||Fred Jones, Sr. (credited as "Mayor Fred Jones, Sr.")(dream)|
|Christian Lanz||Fernando El Aguirre (dream)|
|Alianza Misterio (dream)|
|Benevolent Lodge of Mystery (dream)|
|Brad Chiles (dream)|
|Cassidy Williams (dream)|
|Ed Machine (dream)|
|Fraternitas Mysterium (dream)|
|Judy Reeves (dream)|
|Mystery Gang (dream)|
|Mystery Fellowship (dream)|
- Monstrous Freak/Fernando El Aguirre (redeemed)
|Fred Jones, Sr.||Fred thinks if the Freak of Crystal Cove is involved it has to be his fake dad.|
|Fernando El Aguirre as the Monstrous Freak||He doesn't want the gang to leave the sitting room because they would destroy the evil Annunaki within the treasure which would free him and his men from the curse that keeps them trapped there, but they would rather stay and pay for their past acts.|
- Crystal Cove
- Sitting room (dream)
- Horatio Kharon's mansion
- The sitting room that Scooby first went to in Stand and Deliver, is a junction between space, time and different dimensions. It can capture the best part of people. Most of the people from Crystal Cove have had their best part taken because of the cursed treasure.
- The connection between Professor Kharon first seen in The Devouring and the "dancing man" first seen in Stand and Deliver is established - they're the same person. The "dancing man" is the best part of him trapped from the time he spent in the sitting room.
- The gang went to Burlington Library in Night Terrors.
- The Mystery Fellowship are based on what they looked like right before their house collapsed in Escape From Mystery Manor.
- That Freak is what inspired Jones, Sr. to be the Freak of Crystal Cove first seen in Pawn of Shadows and revealed to be Jones, Sr. in All Fear The Freak.
- Fred forgives his kidnapper who raised him as his own which he found out in All Fear The Freak.
- This episode was aired in Italy on March 8, 2013
- This episode was aired in Latin America and Brazil on March 29, 2013.
- Daphne announces the "previously on..." recap.
- Scooby's line "Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in," is a reference to Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) in Godfather III.
- The Monstrous Freak is nightmare figure that caused Professor Kharon to draw a room full of pictures of it.
- Interestingly, Professor Pericles isn't among the still figures, perhaps implying that he never had any "best parts" to lose.
- Velma's meltdown when things didn't make sense is similar to the Velma of the regular continuity's reaction in Scooby-Doo! And The Goblin King.
- The Hunters of Secrets were a Mayan group of friends who were first afflicted by the and were going to destroy the monster rather than release it, but were stopped when the Spanish conquistadors stole the sarcophagus because they thought it was a great treasure.
- The theory about the best parts of people trapped 'in between worlds' is a spoof of the theory of the doppelgänger (evil doubles of people in the Black Lodge) from Twin Peaks.
- The Miskatonic University that Horatio Kharon is a professor at is a reference to the location of the same name from H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- Danny Darrow's hair is blond instead of brown.
Inconsistences/continuity errors and/or goofs
- One would think that Fred would've had already confronted his fake dad after the events of Wrath of the Krampus when he looked after the gang's pieces of the Planispheric Disk.
- Interestingly, Fred was more interested in finding redemption from the "best part" of his fake dad and not his real parents. From his experience with his parents it turned out that the ex-mayor turned to be a better parent all along, but Brad and Judy were victims too who should've also been given the benefit of the doubt.
- Velma finds it hard to believe what is happening is real and needs cold, hard facts, and this has always been her way. Despite the fact that she already saw the real mummy of Friar Serra in Theater of Doom, and seems to forget that she didn't question whether the Wild Brood, from The Wild Brood or Amy the siren, from The Siren's Song, were real or fake.
In other languages
|Spanish (Latin America)||Pesadilla En Rojo||Nightmare In Red|
|Italian||Il Segreto Del Sarcofago||The Secret of The Sarcophagus|
|Hungarian||Vérvörös rémálom||Blood Red Nightmare|
|Norwegian||Mareritt i rødt||Nightmare in red|
|Greek||Κόκκινος Εφιάλτης||Red Nightmare|
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: Season Two, Part 2 - Spooky Stampede DVD set released by Warner Home Video on June 18, 2013.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The Complete Season 2 DVD set released by Warner Home Video October 7, 2014.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystères associés: L'intégrale de la saison 2 (Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The entirety of season 2) DVD set released by Warner Home Video on September 10, 2013.
Velma: I have spent my whole life believing in facts and clues. But we're in some dream world, fighting a nightmare monster! It doesn't make sense! I want it to make sense! (sobbing) I NEED IT TO MAKE SENSE!
Fernando El Aguirre: No! Do you not see?! If you destroy the Entity, myself and my men will be set free from this endless curse! We should never be set free! We must pay for all the horrible atrocities we committed, while in service to the Entity!
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|The Man in the Mirror|| Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated|
|Dark Night of the Hunters|