|Scooby's Night with a Frozen Fright|
|Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!|
|Airdate||September 26, 1970|
|Written By|| Larz Bourne
|Directed By|| Joseph Barbera
|Previous Episode||Mystery Mask Mix-Up|
|Next Episode||Jeepers, It's The Creeper|
Sea-fishing Shaggy catches, of all things, an ancient caveman frozen in a block of ice, which was lost at sea after sliding off of a ship. The kids take the frozen caveman to Oceanland, the local aquarium. When they come back to the aquarium later that night to retrieve Shaggy's fishing pole, they find that the ice has melted and the caveman is now apparently alive and roaming the grounds.
While fishing at the beach, Shaggy snags and pulls ashore a giant block of ice containing a frozen caveman. Velma recognizes it a two million-year-old caveman discovered in the Arctic and washed over the side of research vessel during a storm. The kids take it to Oceanland and leave it with two scientists, Professors Wayne and Ingstrom. After they leave, someone turns a space heater onto the caveman; Ingstrom leaves for the dockside while Wayne remains behind to work on some research notes.
At the Malt Shop, Shaggy remembers that he left his fishing tackle at Oceanland, and the gang returns to pick it up. They find the doors ripped off its hinges, Wayne's torn parka, and the caveman thawed out and missing. The phone is broken, so the kids decide to investigate. They follow giant caveman tracks to the dock, where they see Ingstrom working a strange device and seemingly talking to a porpoise. He takes fright and flees into a shack when he hears Scooby creeping up on him. When Freddy opens the doors to the shack, they discover the angry caveman, who chases them all about Oceanland.
After they escape, Velma finds a map showing the currents off Oceanland and an object anchored offshore. She, Shaggy, and Scooby take a boat out, where they find a fishing boat. They are locked inside it with an ice machine that is churning out giant ice blocks full blast. They escape just before being crushed by the ice, only to find that their boat has been scuttled, so they paddle back to shore on an ice block.
Freddy resolves to catch the caveman and has Shaggy and Scooby (dressed as fish) lure the caveman to a spot where he and the girls can drop a net on him. But Daphne falls, pulling everyone else down into the net. The caveman chases them again but is caught when he falls into the tank holding the giant clam. They pull him out and unmask him as Professor Wayne. Wayne had heard about the loss of the Arctic caveman and has constructed his own frozen caveman at the fishing boat, with the intent of letting it drift down to Oceanland. After its recovery, he melted it and disguised himself as the caveman with the idea of getting rid of Ingstrom and stealing his revolutionary new marine life communicator.
Cast and characters
|Casey Kasem|| Shaggy Rogers|
|Frank Welker|| Fred Jones|
|Heather North||Daphne Blake|
|Nicole Jaffe||Velma Dinkley|
|John Stephenson|| Professor Wayne/|
|George A. Robertson||Professor Ingstrom|
|"7 Days a Week"||Written credits by Danny Janssen and Austin Roberts||Austin Roberts|
- Caveman/Prof. Wayne
|Prof. Ingstrom||He left Oceanland in a suspicious manner. The gang followed the Caveman's footsteps to where he was working on a strange device.|
|Prof. Wayne as the Caveman||He wanted to get rid of Prof. Ingstrom and take credit for his marine life communicator.|
- This episode was included in Cartoon Network's Scooby-Doo! Back to School Marathon (August 10-11, 2013).
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- While Shaggy is fishing, when he says "Scooby", his mouth doesn't move.
- When Scooby held up a fur parka, it was Prof. Ingstrom's. When the scene moves closer to the parka, it was Prof. Wayne's like it should be.
- When Professor Wayne is arrested, he wasn't wearing his lab-coat and his hands are behind his back, but when the scene switches, he is wearing his lab-coat again and his hands are in front..
- When Velma says "And that's what gave Professor Wayne the idea for his scheme." It's her voice, but it's Daphne's mouth moving.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- One would think anthropologists would be better-prepared to study such a find than marine biologists.
- Shaggy leaving his fishing reel at Oceanland is an unconvincing, flimsy excuse to get the gang to return to find the broken "artic" chamber, since he would have no reason to bring it there to begin with and would've surely packed it into the Mystery Machine before first going there.
- Professor Wayne is shown turning on the heater, and then the scene pans to show him at his desk, as if he had been sitting there without turning on the heater. If he really did turn it on, he would have to move like lighting to turn it on and reach his desk and look as if he had done nothing.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons DVD set released March 16, 2004. For unknowns reason this episode is switched with the next episode and the mistake is carried over onto the complete series set listed below, fortunately the series lacks any continuity between episodes so no real harm is done.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series DVD set released November 9, 2010.
- Buy from iTunes (US)
Mystery Mask Mix-Up
Jeepers, It's The Creeper