Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This needs a stretch.|
Scrappy's Birthday is the third part of the seventh episode of the first season of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show.
It is Scrappy's birthday, and he is so happy to be spending it having lunch with his Uncle Scooby. Shaggy begins telling them the story of his real "birth" day, when he was born to Scooby's sister, Ruby-Doo.
Scooby and Shaggy are pacing the waiting room at St. Bernard's Memorial Hospital, as Ruby is being rolled though. She tells them both not to worry. Shaggy says they won't, but as she enters the delivery room, they both faint. Just out of the womb, the newborn attacks the doctor for swatting him. When the doctor comments that he's a "scrappy little tyke", Ruby decides to name him Scrappy. When Scooby and Shaggy look through the windowed doors from hearing the commotion, they get knocked into the wall, as Scrappy takes off running through the hospital, looking for "action". Shaggy and Scooby then go after him.
They bump into a hospital orderly who begins chasing them, leading to the usual disguise routine, such as posing as patients. Scrappy, telling his mother he's bored, sees Shaggy and Scooby running, and decides that they look like fun, and join in the act. Shaggy and Scooby disguise as a couple of parents, with Scrappy as their baby. They give the orderly a bubble gum cigar, and when he says "coochie coochie coo", Scrappy smashes the gum in his face with his rattle ("'Coochie coo' yourself, buster!"). Scrappy gets permission from his mother to travel with Shaggy and Scooby, who are now real patients themselves, in bandages and casts.
Looking back, Shaggy claims his bones still ache, and Scrappy says he's less trouble now then he was back then. Yet, blowing out his birthday cake candles (from the cake Scooby just brought out), he blows icing all over Shaggy and Scooby. Scooby licks it and laughs.
Cast and characters
|Don Messick|| Scooby-Doo|
|Casey Kasem||Shaggy Rogers|
- St. Bernard's Memorial Hospital (flashback)
- In a rare occurrence, the red letters of the Mystery Machine's name have been neatly drawn in so that it can be read clearly, instead of the colour smearing between the letters and looking like a big mess. Some of them however, are conjoined.
- St. Bernard's Memorial Hospital seems to be a hospital for both humans and animals, although there wasn't any animal staff present. While the hospital's name refers to the species of dog, there's nothing to say it couldn't have been named after a person (or a dog).
- This is Ruby's first appearance production-wise. Her second and last appearance is chronologically her first in the A Pup Named Scooby-Doo episode, Curse of the Collar, as a puppy herself.
- The three birthday candles would imply Scrappy's age.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- The Mystery Machine's name is missing in the far-out shot.
- Scooby and Scrappy's dogtags should have their initials stylised in teal, but are prone to have the following mistakes (including being completely covered in teal or just empty):
- Throughout the episode, Scooby's dogtag is just covered in teal except for in the flashback when Scrappy says it's fun running and stays like it briefly up until Scooby swallows the soap and again in the present when Scooby licks the icing off of himself. There's also a faint attempt at molding the teal into something that resembles his initials.
- Scrappy's is also just covered in teal with no exceptions.
- Ruby's dogtag is just gold, although since this is her only appearance as an adult it's unknown if it could be considered a mistake or not.
- In most scenes in the flashback, Scrappy's diaper is either huge or it appears as if they've gained legs.
- While human characters are known to have flesh coloured sclera, the orderly's is white when he first opens them after being hit by the bubble.
- When Scrappy says Shaggy to he's no problem now, his eyes disconnect from his face.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Scrappy's father and Ruby's parents are mysteriously absent, while Shaggy and Scooby just happen to be there. Logical explanations include:
- Scrappy's father had left Ruby or wasn't with her at the time and was on his way.
- The latter reason could also be said about Ruby's parents not being there at the time. They may not even live in the same area as her.
- Shaggy and Scooby were the ones with her and had to make an emergency trip with her.
- Scrappy is shown being able to talk in complete sentences only a short while after birth. There isn't that much difference between newborn and present-day Scrappy apart from the former's voice and wearing a bonnet and diaper.
- While opening credits can't be taken as canon, this episode does contradict the opener to the 1979 cartoons that introduced Scrappy, which seemed to indicate Scooby met his nephew for the first time well after he was born.
- The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show: Volume One DVD set released May 20, 2008.