|This needs a stretch.|
|Release date||Aug. 2006|
|Part of||Scooby-Doo! #109|
|Previous||Field of Screams|
The Mystery Inc. Gang take a trip to Brooklyn to attend the Coney Island Mermaid Parade, but run into trouble when a monster called the Coney Island Kelp threatens to ruin the parade and swipe the trophy for the best float in the parade. But how come?
- Seaweed Surprise team (single appearance)
- Ellie May Pike (single appearance)
- Ellie May Pike's brother (single appearance)
- King Triton look-a-like prize-giver (single appearance)
- Princess Ariel look-a-like prize-giver (single appearance)
|Oceanic Splendor team||Wanted to be sure that they won the contest again (as they always did).|
|Seaweed Surprise team||Wanted to make sure that they won the contest this year, since they always lost to the Oceanic Splendor team (just for a change).|
|A member of the Oceanic Splendor team as the Coney Island Kelp, with the others helping.||They were afraid they might lose, so they stole the trophy to ruin the contest.|
- The man in the mermaid costume in the first panel resembles the story's penciler, Joe Staton.
- The prize-givers resemble King Triton and Ariel from Disney's The Little Mermaid.
Vito Delsante's "Seaside Frights" seems obvious, but Delsante treats his audience instead to a fairplay mystery in which the gang searches for and finds clues as well as a motive for the crime. Readers can play along or simply watch Delsante's on model characterization of Scooby-Doo and Mystery Inc.
Joe Staton, Horacio Ottolini and Heroic Age make this mystery easy on the eyes and a splendid animated romp. Delsante adds a genuinely fun twist that fits with the personality of cast, and Staton accomplishes the timing needed to make the joke work.