South Seas Scare is the first part of the eighth episode of the first season of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show.
The guys are vacationing in Hawaii when a volcano erupts hot lava and a lava monster, who chases them all over the island.
Hawaiian natives are singing and hula dancing, when a volcano erupts, and out comes a lava monster whom the natives fear their singing has disturbed, and they all run. Scooby, Shaggy and Scrappy are also on the island singing and hula dancing, and see the people running, and soon encounter the lava monster themselves.
Scrappy challenges it, but Shaggy and Scooby grab him and run and hide in a restaurant, disguised as waiters. They serve him a dish, inside of which is Scrappy, who squirts him with water. They trick him into washing dishes, and Scrappy splashes him with more water. He throws food at them, and hiding behind a table, Shaggy and Scooby grab it out of the air to eat. Scrappy jumps on his head and covers his eyes as he chases them, and he falls into the ocean, but soon returns.
The gang disguises as hula dancers, and then run, with Shaggy wishing it would go back to where it came from. Scrappy asks "Well, why didn't you say so?", and simply picks up the monster and carries it back to the mouth of the volcano and dumps it back in. Shaggy and Scooby compliments Scrappy's plan and faint.
- Lava Monster (single appearance)(no lines)
- Male hula dancers (single appearance)
- Female hula dancers (single appearance)
- Spray bottle
|Don Messick|| Scooby-Doo|
|Casey Kasem||Shaggy Rogers|
- Scooby-Doo and Shaggy were previously in Hawaii in the Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episode, A Tiki Scare is No Fair.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- When Scooby fainted Scrappy wasn't wearing his flower on his ear, but it reappeared in the final scene.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Scrappy was wearing his hula outfit before they saw the monster, but wasn't wearing it when Shaggy saw the monster behind him.
- The Lava Monster must have some legend behind it as Shaggy immediately refers to it as that upon his first encounter with it. Although given its appearance, perhaps it was just easier to write it that way.
In other languages
|Greek||Το Τέρας του Ηφαιστείου||The Volcano Monster|
|Polish||Postrach mórz południowych||Terror of the South Seas|
- Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales: For the Love of Snack DVD set released by Warner Home Video on January 7, 2014.