- This page about the episode. For the character, see Spooky Space Kook.
|Spooky Space Kook (episode)|
|Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!|
|Airdate||December 20, 1969|
|Written By|| Ken Spears
|Directed By|| William Hanna
|Previous Episode||Go Away Ghost Ship|
|Next Episode||A Night of Fright is No Delight|
Scooby, Shaggy and the gang are driving down an old country road and are running out of gas and have to stop soon. They park at an old farmhouse and talk to an old farmer who at first mistakes the gang for reporters. The gang explains their situation and the man says that the reporters have been bothering him because a spooky spacecraft and an alien has been haunting an abandoned air-field adjacent to the farm. After getting gas, Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby realize they have a mystery on their hands and they follow a strange air-craft flying and follow it to the abandoned air field. They find a running generator and Scooby and Shaggy have a run-in with a creepy alien-type creature in a space suit that laughs hysterically (in a very memorable way). Fred and the girls search for clues and Fred gets caught by a hook and is dangling in the air. They rescue him and then the space ghost arrives and the kids flee and Shaggy and Scooby arrive at the mess hall where they find fresh food, but the space alien comes again and chases them away. The gang then finds a Jeep that runs by itself and an army of the space alien ghosts just materializes. Then, the biggest clue is when Shaggy and Scooby head into the air tower and find a movie projector and tape recorder.
The culprit, after chasing Scooby and Shaggy, goes into the wind tunnel by accident and gets his costume blown off. The crook happened to be the old farmer's neighbor, Henry Bascombe. He was trying to exploit the land for money after he heard that the air-field was re-opening again. The army of ghosts was just a bunch of stuffed dummies, and the Jeep that runs by itself was just remote control. The spooky laugh was played over the loudspeakers, and the spacecraft was a movie projector.
Cast and characters
|Don Messick|| Scooby-Doo|
Spooky Space Kook
|Casey Kasem|| Shaggy Rogers|
|Frank Welker||Fred Jones|
|Stefanianna Christopherson||Daphne Blake|
|Nicole Jaffe||Velma Dinkley|
- Spooky Space Kook/Henry Bascombe
|Farmer||He threatened the gang.|
|Henry Bascombe as the Spooky Space Kook||To scare people away from the airfield.|
- On the table, while Shaggy makes his sandwhich is a ketchup bottle with a Heinz-like label.
- The syrup bottle is called Double Dutch Chocolate Syrup, but the label simply says "Syrup".
- While "Gazette" is hardly an original name, it's the first newspaper in the series to be given something identifiable.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- In the scene where the gang just let Fred down after he was suspended by a machine hook, his left hand is noticably missing in the first shot.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- When Fred finds a newspaper article hidden in a barrel, Daphne says to look at an article that has been circled. When the paper is in view, there is no circle.
In other languages
|Spanish (Latin America)||El fantasma del aeropuerto abandonado||The Ghost of the Abandoned Airport|
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons DVD set released March 16, 2004. For unknown reasons this episode is switched with the previous episode and the mistake is carried over onto the complete series set listed below, fortunately the series lacks any continuity between episodes so no real harm is done.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: Volume 4 - Spooked Bayou DVD released October 19, 2010.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You: The Complete Series DVD set released November 9, 2010.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery in Motion compilation DVD released June 11, 2012.
- Buy from iTunes (US)
Go Away Ghost Ship
A Night of Fright is No Delight