Swamp Witch is the second part of the sixth episode of the first season of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show.
The guys are out boating in a swamp, when they encounter a gruesome twosome, a hungry swamp witch and her ghostly goblin, who are looking for people they can turn into frogs to cook in frog-leg stew.
"Riga-ma-raga-ma-roo, I'm making frog's legs stew! Riga-ma-raga-ma-ree, Would anyone care to join me?" sings a witch. She remembers she forgot to add frogs' legs, and sends her goblin sidekick Globby out to look for people to turn into frogs.
Shaggy, Scooby and Scrappy are on a boat in the nearby swamp, and Shaggy flips a coin to see which way is out. Globby grabs the coin, and Scrappy goes after him. He is netted by the witch. She decides he's too puny to turn into a frog. Shaggy and Scooby arrive to his rescue. The witch decides Shaggy is just right to turn into a frog and she sends Globby after him. They hide, but she lures them out with the promise of dinner. But the dinner is to be "frogs legs; -- and, YOU'RE GOING TO BE THE FROGS!" She shoots frog spells at them with her wand. Scrappy tries to box with the immaterial goblin. Scooby grabs Scrappy and the run to the front door, Shaggy franticly trying to get it open. The witch shoots another frog spell at them ("Biggldy baggldy bogs. Turn into Frogs!") They manage to escape, each shouting "haha, you missed!", but Shaggy then discovers that he has been turned into a frog. He panics and hops away before the witch can grab him and cook him in her stew.
Scooby and Scrappy are running away when they hear Shaggy yell to "wait up guys!". He hops to them and says "Ribbit. Like, you've got to help me guys. Do something!" Fearing the witch will catch Shaggy and cook him they are forced to come up with a plan.
Scooby and Scrappy return to the witch's house disguised as "wand inspectors" from the "Better Gnomes and Goblins Association"; take the wand, and change back Shaggy, whom they had concealed in their briefcase. They take off on the witch's broom, and the witch shoots another spell at Shaggy, proclaiming he's going to be the frog. Shaggy, glad to be back to normal and not the witches dinner (he was beginning to crave flies), looks in a mirror. The spell is reflected off the mirror and changes the witch into a frog. Globby laughs and she changes him into a frog, and chases him away, both hopping off. Shaggy, Scooby and Scrappy ride the broom off into the moonlight.
- Swamp witch (single appearance)(transformed into a frog)
- Globby (single appearance)(transformed into a frog)
- Swamp witch's magic wand
- Swamp witch's broom
- Swamp witch's broom
|Don Messick|| Scooby-Doo|
|Casey Kasem||Shaggy Rogers|
- The Mystery Machine is not in this episode.
- "Better Gnomes and Goblins" plays off the magazine title: Better Homes and Gardens.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- Scooby and Scrappy's dogtags should have their initials stylised in teal, but are prone to have the following mistakes (including being completely covered in teal or just empty):
- Apparently the intention was for the swamp witch to have no pupils (or black dots to be specific), but a few times she has them including when she captures Scrappy and her left eye has a pupil when she reacts to Shaggy and Scooby running away after having saved Scrappy.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- It's unknown if Globby is a ghost from having died or a supernatural entity (much like Casper the Friendly Ghost is usually depicted as), but it does raise the question on his status of being "alive" when being turned into a flesh and blood being (even if it is as a frog).
- When the witch turns Shaggy into a frog only his body becomes a frog. His hair is green and he still has his own face. He also says "ribbit" from time to time indicating he is slowly becoming a full frog.
- When Shaggy discovers he is now a frog he leaps away. The witch does not chase after her dinner. Instead she says "one out of three isn't bad" and laughs.
In other languages
|Greek||Η Μάγισσα||The Witch|
- Scooby-Doo in Swamp Witch VHS released in 1990.
- The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show: Volume One DVD set released by Warner Home Video on May 20, 2008.
- Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales: For the Love of Snack DVD set released by Warner Home Video on January 7, 2014.
Scrappy-Doo: Broom power!