|This needs a stretch.|
A zombie ghoul attacks the cemetery, with the prime suspect being the grave digger, Evallo von Meanskrieg, who's a deadringer. But only Velma sees the connection, and has to expose the hoax by herself.
The mayor hosts a scary movie night at the cemetery, and shows a Vincent Van Ghoul movie, where he get turned into a fog ghoul. The movie gets interrupted by who a real ghoul who rips through the screen and scares everyone off. In the morning, the gang looks around for clues, but don't find anything significant. Velma gets spooked by the grave digger, Evallo, who looks much like the ghoul and even acts similar.
Instead of questioning Evallo, the rest of the gand decides to investigate a mysterious house near the cemetery. The house has a super-nice family by the name of Bjorklund living in it. The mother, Model, tells them how she moved there because she was trying to raise money.
Later, Velma is walking around looking for clues when Mr. E approaches her and asks her to help him again. She declines and walks away. After she leaves, Pericles tries to talk Mr. E, aka Ricky, into working with him again, saying that Cassidy is bitter, and that Brad and Judy are enigmas.
While Velma is out, the gang gets attacked by the Graveyard Ghoul in the Bjorklund house.
Mr. E thinks back to when he first met Pericles as a child, and how he nursed him back to health, becoming best friends.
Velma finds out that Count Evallo von Meanskrieg was rejected for a work permit for being "pure evil". When she tries to tell the gang, they laugh and say it can't be that obvious.
Velma goes off to look for clues again and gets ambushed by the Graveyard Ghoul in the cemetery.
Velma talks to Sheriff Stone and gets him to help her trap the Graveyard Ghoul. They find out that the Ghoul is using one of the crypts to hide a natural gas well. After a chase, they catch the Graveyard Ghoul, and find out that Evallo wanted to steal the gas to prove that he was worthy of his family's evil name. The mayor then reveals that the gas company next to the cemetery owes the Bjorklunds money for having unknowningly tapped into the gas field under the cemetery. When Mrs. Bjorklund sees how much money it is, she decides to move back to the old country she emmigrated from, as she and her daughters walk gleefully away. Then Sheriff Stone has to release Evallo for deportation as he has "diplomatic immunity."
Ricky and Pericles in the meantime, have decided to put the past behind them and work together to get the treasure, but first they must get rid of Cassidy.
- Graveyard Ghoul (single appearance)(disguise)(main story and flashback)/
- Count Evallo von Meanskrieg (single appearance)(main story and flashback)
- Mr. E
- Professor Pericles (main story and flashback)
- Vincent Van Ghoul (projector)(cameo)
- Deena (single appearance)(projector)(main story and flashback)
- Nova (no lines)
- Mr. Baywosenthal (no lines)
- Crystal Cove citizen (Pebbles Flintstone lookalike) (no lines)
- Janitor (no lines)
- Cicada festival photographer (no lines)
- Brenda (no lines)
- Tiffany's mother (no lines)
- Tween girl (no lines)
- Inga Bjurklund (single appearance)(no lines)
- Ola Bjurklund (single appearance)(no lines)
- Heidi Bjurklund (single appearance)(no lines)
- Ricky Owens (no lines)(flashback only)
- Cassidy Williams (voice only)
- Crystal Cove
- Sheriff Stone's police car
|Count Evallo von Meanskrieg||He acted like the Graveyard Ghoul, and had a bad temper.|
|Moder Bjorklund||Fred said she has the same size as Graveyard Ghoul.|
|Count Evallo von Meanskrieg as the Graveyard Ghoul||To drill for gas.|
- This is the second time Sheriff Bronson Stone has had a barbeque, the first time being in Battle of the Humungonauts.
- It is revealed how Ricky Owens/Mr. E first encountered Professor Pericles.
- Mr. E and Pericles now work together again to find the treasure and plan on silencing Cassidy for good.
- Mr. E plays the same keytar he was holding in Pawn of Shadows and The House of the Nightmare Witch.
- This episode was aired in Latin America and Brazil on October 15, 2012.
- This is the first episode to have the "previously on..." recap spoken by Scooby. The recap itself is a spoof and doesn't actually show anything significant, only showing the extravagant meals Scooby and Shaggy have had.
- The recap also includes a never-before seen deleted scene from Web of the Dreamweaver!, in which Shaggy and the Sheriff spit Francilee's Cornbread Stuffin' on Scooby. This scene is an off-screen one, as the Sheriff says he was going to destroy that tasty evidence, as soon as Francilee Jackson was caught, with Scooby & Shaggy offering to help, while the rest of the gang questioned her.
- The Mystery Machine is not seen in this episode.
- Deena is just the brunette version of blonde Weena, who also appeared in a Vincent Van Ghoul zombie movie in Nightfright.
- This is the one episode of the series where the most obvious suspect actually is the monster.
- This episode reveals that talking dogs are a well-known category of animals, so that even foreigners like the Bjorklunds aren't surprised by Scooby-Doo.
- It is revealed that Daphne's a chocoholic and that she goes crazy whenever she eats chocolate, even a small amount.
- The Bjorklunds' check dates January 26.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- None known.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Velma is nowhere to be seen in the Mayor's horror movie night at the cemetery, yet she's capable of finding similarities between Count Evallo and the Graveyard Ghoul.
- Pericles' scar should be on the left, when his reflection in the glass is showing.
In other languages
|Italian||Il Mistero Si Infittisce||The Mystery Deepens|
|Spanish (Latin America)||La Creciente Oscuridad||The Growing Darkness|
|Hungarian||A temetői ködlovag||The Fog Knight from the Cemetery|
|Greek||Το Βαθύ Σκοτάδι||The Deep Darkness|
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: Season Two, Part 1 - Danger in the Deep DVD set released by Warner Home Video on November 13, 2012.
- Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales: For the Love of Snack DVD set released by Warner Home Video on January 7, 2014.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The Complete Season 2 DVD set released by Warner Home Video on October 7, 2014.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystères associés: L'intégrale de la saison 2 (Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The entirety of season 2) DVD set released by Warner Home Video on September 10, 2013.
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|Art of Darkness!|| Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated|
|Night on Haunted Mountain|