One rainy night, Shaggy drives the Mystery Machine -- and wrecks it! He bumped the Mystery Machine at the Happy Humor Ice Cream factory. A trip inside to use the phone to get a tow truck turns into a mystery, complete with three Technicolor Phantoms -- Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla!
On a rainy night, Shaggy drives the Mystery Machine - until a black cat races across the road and Shaggy and swerves and crashes into the garage of the Happy Humor Ice Cream factory. Upon investigation, they find the tires blown and a huge pile of popsicles in the middle of the road. A news bulletin comes over the radio in the Mystery Machine and announces that an armored car containing two million dollars has been stolen.
Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby enter the ice cream factory in search of a phone. They run into the night watchman who warns them about three technicolor phantoms and then shows them a phone. But when Velma picks up the phone, a threatening message - warning the gang they are doomed if they stay there - comes over the line. Then all of a sudden, the three Technicolor Phantoms appear; one chocolate, one vanilla, and one strawberry. After the phantoms have gone, they meet the owner of the factory, Avery Queen, who is wearing a cast on his leg and is on crutches. Fred tells the girls to stay with Mr. Queen, and him, Scooby, and Shaggy go have a look around, Shaggy and Scooby claim they are going to guard the Mystery Machine, but the Vanilla Phantom chases them into the freezer and locks them inside. But to their dismay, the ice cream is still completely frozen and hard as a rock.
Fred informs the girls, Shag and Scoob and are missing and they all go to search for them. Fred and the girls come upon a parking garage full of ice cream trucks. But several clues point to the trucks not being really ice cream trucks-like they are so heavy they are cracking the floor and the doors are locked. But suddenly the Strawberry Phantom appears and chases them. Back in the freezer, Shaggy puts on a brown winter coast, and the Strawberry Phantom appears and believes that Shaggy is the Chocolate Phantom! But then the other Chocolate Phantom appears, giving Shaggy away and and flees. He eventually meets up with Scooby, Fred, Velma and Daphne, but they are not relieved because the Strawberry Phantom appears again and chases them. Fred sets a trap, but Shaggy falls into it instead and the Phantom escapes.
They go to find Mr. Queen, and find him running without his crutches; they chase him into a room, and he vanishes. Mr. Queen is getting suspicious-he faked his broken leg. The Vanilla and Strawberry Phantom makes an entrance. Velma, Daphne and Fred escape but Shaggy and Scooby fall down an air duct and get locked in the milk-making room. Scooby accidentally breaks the valve in the machine and it goes out of control, filling the room up with milk.
Velma, Fred and Daphne find cans of white paint and realize that the ice cream trucks were white. They rush to the parking garage where they discover the same truck that was heavy enough to crack the floor is covered in white paint. And the truck feels like it's solid steel. Suddenly all three phantoms appear and chase Fred and the girls around the garage. Shaggy and Scooby get out of the milk room-and fall through an air duct, falling onto the phantoms, saving Fred, Daphne and Velma. The three goons try to escape in an ice-cream truck, but it crashes; and tons of money comes falling out. The phantoms are unmasked as two henchman and the night watchman, who the policeman identifies as Sammy the Shrimp, a very skilled hijacker. Mr. Queen appears and explains that his fake cast was full of money-he was afraid the phantoms would steal his money if he left it in his safe. Sammy and his two henchman robbed that armored car that was mentioned on the radio and hid it in the garage at the factory.
Monsters and other villains:
- Technicolor Phantoms (single appearance)(disguise)
- Vanilla Technicolor Phantom (single appearance)(disguise)/
- Sammy the Shrimp (Mr. Grizzley) (single appearance)
- Chocolate Technicolor Phantom (single appearance)(disguise)/
- Sammy the Shrimp's accomplice (single appearance)(no lines)
- Strawberry Technicolor Phantom (single appearance)(disguise)/
- Sammy the Shrimp's accomplice (single appearance)(no lines)
- Radio announcer (only time heard)
Food and drinks:
|Mr. Grizzley||Knew all about the Technicolor Phantoms who were plaguing the ice cream factory.|
|Avery Queen||He was wearing a suspicious fake cast.|
| Sammy the Shrimp as Mr. Grizzley and Vanilla Technicolor Phantom|
His two accomplices as the Chocolate Technicolor Phantom and the Strawberry Technicolor Phantom
|They robbed an armored car and hid it in the factory's garage and painted it to look like the rest of the ice cream trucks. Then they dressed up as phantoms to scare everyone away.|
- This is the penultimate episode of the The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour and The Scooby-Doo Show when it was later repackaged under that series.
- The Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla Phantoms look like they've been reused from the Phantom Shadows from the Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episode, A Night of Fright is No Delight.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- The gang come into the garage as the ghosts are finishing up painting one of the trucks. Fred puts his hand on the very same truck and says "Bone dry."
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- In the opening scene, the Mystery Machine is seen from the distance, clearly being driven through the rain by Fred, but when it cuts to a shot of inside the Mystery Machine, Shaggy is suddenly driving.
- When the Vanilla Phantom is unmasked, Velma identifies the culprit as Mr. Grizzly, though the name was never mentioned before. Although it is possible that he introduced himself while he was showing the gang where the phone is.
- The Scooby-Doo!/Dynomutt Hour: The Complete Series DVD set released by Warner Home Video on March 7, 2006.
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|The Ghost that Sacked the Quarterback|| The Scooby-Doo Show|
|The Spirits of '76|