|This needs a stretch. (Feel free to remove when satisfied of completion.)|
Insert details here.
- Mayor Fred Jones, Sr.
- Barty Blake
- Nan Blake
- Angie Dinkley
- Colton Rogers
- H.P. Hatecraft (first appearance)
- Harlan Ellison (first appearance)
- Rhino (single appearance)
- Ernesto (first appearance)
- Char Gar Gothakon (single appearance)(no lines)(Howard E. Roberts' disguise)
- Howard E. Roberts (first appearance)
- Ben (single appearance)
- Todd (single appearance)
- Blakes' driver (single appearance)(no lines)
- Ernesto's followers (first appearance)
- Waitress (single appearance)
- Cook (single appearance)
- Newscaster (only time heard)
- Crystal Cove
- Char Gar Gothakon: The Beast That Hath No Name
- My Fiction is Better
- Veggie burgers
- Char Gar Gothakon mask
- Fred Jones, Sr.'s car
- Blakes' car
- Angie Dinkley's car
- Colton Rogers's car
- Harlan Ellison's car
- The Mystery Machine
|H.P. Hatecraft||To make publicity for his books.|
|Howard E. Roberts as Char Gar Gothakon||Devotion to the myths written by Hatecraft.|
|Song||Credits||Performed by||Character performance by|
|"Char Gar Gothakon, The Beast That Hath No Name"||Written by Mitch Watson and Robert J. Kral||Robert J. Kral and Carlos Alazraqui||Ernesto|
- Casey Kasem, who used to play the original Shaggy, and this incarnation of Shaggy's father, is a strict vegan and had suggested Shaggy should be a vegetarian as well. In this episode, however, when this version of Shaggy is forced to eat vegan, he doesn't like it at all.
- The fictional Ellison in this episode is an old friend of Velma's mother, whom he nicknamed "Cape Cod Dinkley."
- The balding, gray-haired middle-aged guy does not appear again in The Siren's Song, with Ernesto and his followers.
- According to Daphne's parents, all of her older sisters had attended Darrow University for college and finished by the time they were only 13—depending on when their birthdays are, Daphne's sisters were probably only around 8 or 9 (maybe 10 at the absolute oldest) when they started college.
- Also, it turns out that Daphne's parents have donated so much money to the school that there's a building on campus named after them.
- The name Howard E. Roberts is a play on the American pulp fiction writer Robert E. Howard, most famously known for creating Conan the Barbarian.
- This episode is full of references to H.P. Lovecraft a horror writer (famous for this type of monster) and his works, namely "The Call of Cthulhu":
- The name "H.P. Hatecraft" is a play on the name H.P. Lovecraft.
- Char Gar Gothakon himself bears a strong resemblance to Lovecraft's most well-known creation: Cthulhu.
- The episode title may be a reference to In the Mouth of Madness, a film in which Lovecraftian horrors come to life out of books.
- Harlan Ellison plays a fictionalized version of himself in this episode.
- The line "By Grabthar's hammer", spoken by Mayor Jones, is a reference to the movie Galaxy Quest.
- When Char Gar Gothakon attacked the Campus Burger, a Wilhelm Scream was heard.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Ben runs with the gang to the rescue of Professor Hatecraft, but later on, he disappears.
- All the gang members are dropped off at Darrow College by their parents, so, logically, the Mystery Machine should have been left at Fred's house. However, after solving the mystery, the gang approaches the Mystery Machine in the college parking lot.
In other languages
|Spanish (Latin America)||Una Bestia de Otra Dimensión||A Beast From Other Dimension|
|Italy||Non Aprite Quel Libro||Don't Open That Book|
|French||Le Chaos Hurlant||The Howling Chaos|
|Portuguese||A Loucura Gritante||The Shrieking Madness|
|Hungarian||Pusztító őrület||Destructive Frenzy|
|Greek||Η Στριγκιά Τρέλα||The Shrieking Madness|
|Polish||Rycząca wściekłość||The Roaring Madness|
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: Season One, Volume 3 DVD released by Warner Home Video on September 27, 2011.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The Complete Season 1 DVD set released by Warner Home Video on October 8, 2013.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystères associés: L'intégrale de la saison 1 (Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The entirety of season 1) DVD set released by Warner Home Video on October 3, 2012.
Scooby-Doo: Yeah. We're so hungry, we'd even eat vegetables.
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|The Secret Serum|| Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated|
|When the Cicada Calls|