- This article is about the episode. For the titular monster, see Tar Monster. For other versions, see Tar Monster (disambiguation).
The Tar Monster is the fifth episode of the third season of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!,[Note 1] and the thirtieth episode overall in the series. It was later repackaged as the fifth episode of the third season of The Scooby-Doo Show, and the twenty-ninth episode overall in the series.
The gang encounter a tar monster on a visit to an underground city in Turkey.
The gang head to Turkey to visit their friend, Dr. Brixton, who has discovered a buried city that has remained untouched for thousands of years. Dr. Brixton informs the gang that his workers were all frightened off by a tar monster, meaning the digging had be postponed. The underground city was said to be guarded by the monster, who protected the ancient treasure. The professor's assistant, Stoner, was kidnapped by the monster.
After a brief encounter with the tar monster, the gang follow his tracks to a nearby tar pool. There they find an ancient piece of pottery. The next day, they head down to the ancient city with Dr. Brixton, who discovers that the ancient treasure has been stolen. The gang searches for clues, and find pottery similar to the one found the night before, as well as another tar pool. The monster gives chase to Shaggy and Scooby while they search. Fred, Velma, and Daphne find the final clue when they discover a map of the underground city. They trap the monster, who turns out to be Stoner. He used an air compressor and a scuba suit to swim through the tar pools so he could steal the treasure. After he was arrested, the gang uses the map to find the missing treasure. They locate it behind a hidden wall in the inner sanctum.
- Professor Brixton (single appearance)
- Ben Gazi (single appearance)(no lines)
- Guard chief (single appearance)
Monsters and other villains:
- Spider (single appearance)(no lines)
Food and drinks:
|Guard chief||He looked in a very suspicious manner after the gang arrived.|
|Ben Gazi||His creepy behavior and frightening appearance.|
|Stoner||His mysterious disappearance. His portrait was streaked with tar.|
|Stoner as the Tar Monster||To loot the lost city.|
|Don Messick|| Scooby-Doo|
|Casey Kasem||Shaggy Rogers|
|Frank Welker|| Fred Jones|
|Heather North||Daphne Blake|
|Patricia Stevens||Velma Dinkley|
|Michael Bell||Tar Monster|
|Henry Corden||Guard chief|
|John Stephenson||Professor Brixton|
- The name Byzantius is a reference to Byzantium, an ancient Greek city located in present-day Turkey that became Constantinople, and later Istanbul.
- The gang told their friend, Eric Staufer, about this case, and he used the Tar Monster in his computer game, as seen in the direct-to-video film, Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase.
- In the live-action theatrical film, Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, the gang faced the Tar Monster in Byzantius, and its costume was later put on display at the Coolsonian Criminology Museum. During the film, it was one of the costumes brought to life by Jonathan Jacobo, in his revenge against the gang.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- None known.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Brixton is referred to both as a "Professor" and a "Doctor."
- Brixton's watch disappears after the first scene of the episode.
- It would be impossible for anyone to "swim" within a pool of tar.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Third Season DVD set released by Warner Home Video on April 10, 2007.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series (limited edition) DVD set released by Warner Home Video on November 9, 2010.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series DVD set released by Warner Home Video on November 21, 2011.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series DVD set released by Warner Home Video on November 13, 2012.
- ↑ a short-lived revival attempt
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|To Switch a Witch|| The Scooby-Doo Show|
|A Highland Fling With a Monstrous Thing|