- This is for the episode. For the monster, see Tar Monster.
|The Tar Monster (episode)|
|The Scooby-Doo Show|
|Airdate||October 7, 1978|
|Previous Episode||To Switch a Witch|
|Next Episode||A Highland Fling With a Monstrous Thing|
The Tar Monster is the fifth episode of the third season of The Scooby-Doo Show, and the twenty-ninth episode overall in the series. It originally aired reusing the opening of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! in a sense making it the thirtieth episode of that series.
The gang encounters a tar monster on a visit to an underground city in Turkey.
The gang heads to Turkey to visit their friend, Dr. Brixton, who has discovered a buried city that has remained untouched for thousands of years. Dr. Brixton informs the gang that his workers were all frightened off by a tar monster, meaning the digging had be postponed. The underground city was said to be guarded by the monster, who protected the ancient treasure. The professor's assistant, Stoner, was kidnapped by the monster.
After a brief encounter with the tar monster, the gang follows his tracks to a nearby tar pool. There they find an ancient piece of pottery. The next day, they head down to the ancient city with Dr. Brixton, who discovers that the ancient treasure has been stolen. The gang searches for clues, and find pottery similar to the one found the night before, as well as another tar pool. The monster gives chase to Shaggy and Scooby while they search. Fred, Velma and Daphne find the final clue when they discover a map of the underground city. They trap the monster, who turns out to be Stoner.
He used an air compressor and a scuba suit to swim through the tar pools so he could steal the treasure. After he was arrested, the gang uses the map to find the missing treasure. They locate it behind a hidden wall in the inner sanctum.
Cast and characters
- Tar Monster/Stoner
|Guard chief||He looked in a very suspicious manner after the gang arrived.|
|Ben Gazi||His creepy behavior and frightening appearance.|
|Mr. Stoner||His mysterious disappearance. His portrait was streaked with tar.|
|Stoner as the Tar Monster||To loot the lost city.|
- This episode originally re-used the name Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!.
- The name Byzantius is a reference to Byzantium, an ancient Greek city located in present-day Turkey that became Constantinople, and later Istanbul.
- A 'cyber version' appears in Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase, and in the live-action Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed film, its costume was brought to life.
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- None known.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Brixton is referred to both as a "Professor" and a "Doctor."
- Brixton's watch disappears after the first scene of the episode.
- It would be impossible for anyone to "swim" within a pool of tar.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Third Season DVD set.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series DVD set.
To Switch a Witch
A Highland Fling With a Monstrous Thing