|Theater of Doom|
|Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated|
|Airdate||August 17, 2012|
|Written By|| Joe Flaherty
|Directed By||Curt Geda|
|Previous Episode||Heart of Evil|
|Next Episode||Aliens Among Us|
The Crystal Cove Haunted Historical Society performs reenactments of Crystal Cove history every year. During a rehearsal for this year's production, a specter resembling one of the props scares off the cast and crew members. Vincent Van Ghoul, called upon to take over production, finds the set destroyed and calls in Mystery Incorporated, who become the new cast and crew for the play. Meanwhile, Pericles instructs Brad and Judy to steal the Planispheric Disk back from the gang.
Mr. LeFranc is on a stage talking about how the town was once saved by Friar Serra and his donkey Porto. Doogle McGuiness is there to play the Friar in the play. As the director introduces the concept of the play, he shows how they have a box with the original Friar in it. The Friar apparently comes to life and attacks them.
The next night, Daphne, along with Shaggy and Scooby, help sneak Fred and Nova in her house. While they're doing that, Shaggy recieves a text from Van Ghoul who laments the destruction of the play and talks them into helping. They meet George Avocados who now has to work as a janitor.
Pericles talks to Brad and Judy and tells them they must get the disk back from the gang.
Van Ghoul talks to the gang and convinces them to do the play in the absence of the intended cast. Velma goes off to research Friar Serra and runs into his mummy. Velma runs away from it and almost gets caught when the mummy grabs her. Van Ghoul talks to the mayor who tells him that Valdesh Helgenjew will be here to see the play. The gang looks around for clues and finds a trail of some sort of material in the basement and runs into Doogle who warns them away. They then see the mummy again who warns them not to tell the story because it might awaken Nibiru. The gang prepares for the play anyway and they put on the play as scheduled. The mummy appears and chases Shaggy. After the chase, they find out it was Avocados who was trying to find a diamond once stolen by his father. They then find out Avocados was the SECOND mummy of Serra.
The gang returns to the basement after the play to find the mummy of Serra waiting for them. This time the Mummy comes to life and tells them the truth of how the old Crystal Cove sank into the sea. It was his donkey Porto who did it. When Serra's group had encountered the conquistador, he told them about the curse and left behind two disk pieces before running away. Serra's mystery solving group tried to figure out the mystery of what the disk was but became obsessed with it instead of solving the mystery. Eventually the dark power of the disk caused Porto to go mad and set explosive charges that caused part of the town to sink into the sea. Porto was eaten by alligators when he tried to leave town with one of the disk pieces. Serra issues one last warning before crumbling to dust: Heed the warning of the alligators: The Dog dies!
Cast and characters
|Frank Welker|| Scooby-Doo|
Fred Jones, Jr.
|Matthew Lillard||Shaggy Rogers|
|Grey DeLisle|| Daphne Blake|
|Mindy Cohn||Velma Dinkley|
|Maurice LaMarche|| Vincent Van Ghoul|
George Avocados's boss(uncredited)
|Lewis Black||Mr. E|
|Udo Kier||Professor Pericles|
|Tim Matheson||Brad Chiles|
|Tia Carrere||Judy Reeves|
|Kate Higgins||Mayor Janet Nettles|
|James Arnold Taylor|| George Avocados/|
Mummy of Friar Serra(uncredited)
Friar Gabriello Serra
|Jeff Bennett|| Doogle McGuiness|
|Fraternitas Mysterium (flashback)|
- Credit errors
- Doogle McGuiness is miscredited as "Doogle McGinnis".
- Not really an error, but Valdesh Helgenjew is simply credited as "Helgenjew".
- Friar Serra is credited as "Mummy Friar Serra" so it is hard to tell if it is giving credit for George's disguise, the real ghost, or, more likely, both.
- Mummy of Friar Serra/George Avocados
- Friar Gabriello Serra
|Doogle McGuiness||He was sneaking around in the basement. Warns the gang away.|
|Blaine LeFranc||Nobody saw him after the first attack of the mummy.|
|Valdesh Helgenjew||He is an old rival of Vincent Van Ghoul.|
|George Avocados as the Mummy of Friar Serra||To find the missing diamond stolen by his father.|
- Crystal Cove
- This episode reveals that the diamond stolen by Theodore Avocados was never recovered, in spite of what Mayor Jones said in The Secret Of The Ghost Rig, that its recovery would make up for the revenue stream lost because of the exposure of the Ghost Truck as a fake. He could have been lying for his own political advantage.
- The heckler's taunt during the play gives evidence that Crystal Cove is on the Pacific coast.
- Friar Serra's statement of "Heed the warning of the alligators" is a reference to the hotel sign in Gatorsburg, when some of the letters lit up reading "The dog dies!" in The Creeping Creatures.
- The disk piece hidden in the cheese was found there over a century later. (The Hodag of Horror).
- This episode was aired in Latin America and Brazil on February 11, 2013.
- This episode was aired in France on April 15 on Cartoon Network France.
- This is the second appearance of Doogle McGuiness after Grim Judgement, and he was also a suspect in that episode too.
- The flashback shows Porto with barrels marked "TNT," an anachronism since that explosive was not invented until long after his time. (Gunpowder kegs could have been used).
- In the series schedule on the Cartoon Network site the episode is listed as Theater of the Doomed, which was possibly the original title.
- The opening sequence of the play featuring Van Ghoul's narration to music is a parody of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" which features a similar narration by Vincent Price (upon whom Van Ghoul is based).
Animation mistakes and/or technical glitches
- Van Ghoul's name is misspelled "Van Ghool" on the banner announcing the play.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- According to Velma's tour speech in Beware The Beast From Below, a garrison of Spanish conquistadors vanished from the coast in 1630, and the missionary town vanished into the sea in 1765. How could monks whose lives were contemporary with the latter event meet a conquistador from the former, when the two events were separated by more than 130 years?
- The pieces of the Planispheric Disk that appear in the flashback both have "U" shapes marked on them, but one of the pieces with a "U" shape was found in the galleon in the mountains, not underwater in the ruined city.
- In the recap it shows the gang discover Abigail Gluck's corpse from The Midnight Zone where she whispers 'Nibiru.' In the actual episode she is voiced by Mindy Sterling but in this recap the voice is much deeper and sounds more robotic and obviously not voiced by the same person.
In other languages
|Italian||Il Teatro Maledetto||The Cursed Theater|
|Latin America||El Teatro de la Perdición||Theater of Doom|
|French||Malédiction sur les planches||Curse on the Boards|
|Hungarian||Dráma a színházban||Drama in the Theatre|
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: Season Two, Part 2 - Spooky Stampede DVD set released June 18, 2013.
Heart of Evil
Aliens Among Us