Toon physics are rules of how the universe works in cartoons. While most of the characters in the Scooby-Doo universe are relatively realistic, others have a higher degree of "tooniness" which gives them what amounts to super-powers.
Scooby-Doo possesses this ability to a high degree, and so do other talking canines related to him. Shaggy Rogers has a slightly lesser power. The rest of the gang has only mild tooniness (they had more when they were children).
Rules of toon physics
- Gravity has no effect on a character unless they look down and become aware they should fall.
- Fear cancels gravity. A scared character can leap to arbitrary heights.
- Rebounds increase momentum. Velma had this ability in A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.
- A running character can crash through any wall, leaving a hole in the wall conforming to their outline.
- Characters can contort and fit into any container. (neither Daphne, Fred nor Velma have this ability and Shaggy doesn't either but he did have it in A Pup.)
- Inflating someone with air can make them balloon out and become lighter than air.
- Releasing the pressure on something filled with air converts it into a jet-propelled rocket. The flight will inevitably land on the villain or do something funny.
- Characters can produce arbitrary objects from thin air, or "hammerspace." A version of this rule was in A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, where Velma could fit anything in her bag, and Sugie had a bottomless (but heavy) baby bag.
- Creating a situation with disguises will fool the smartest villain, at least for a short time.
- The Scooby-Dooby doors effect allows character being chased from one room to another, or who are being looked for in a set of containers, to automatically appear in different rooms or containers without regard to how they got there.
- When a character is scared, their necks pop forward, their eyes pop out of their heads and their hair stands on end or falls off. This happened a lot in A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, where all the gang could do this, as it was in a style similar to wikipedia:Bob Clampett's.
- Some dogs can talk, walk on two legs in a pinch, and eat human food, while still being very doggish.
- Shaggy sometimes demonstrates knowledge of Scooby's powers and treats him a bit like a genii. For example, when they were being chased by Vikings in a hand-car and needed a way to escape, Shaggy asked Scooby to "think of something" that would help. Scooby produced a flying bicycle from hammerspace that they used to fly away.