Three years ago, Shaggy Rogers is hired at the Complex for his remarkable abilities as a dog trainer, sharing an empathetic bond with them. He is told that his project involves working with canines that are part of a military "smart dog" project to use in combat. At this point, Dr. Dinkley brushes past Shaggy, without saying a word, as she's too engrossed in her work. Shaggy tells her off, but Mr. Blattsky warns him that she's someone important, being best to stay away from her, as he also considers her to be spooky.
Shaggy and Mr. Blattsky have now arrived at the kennel's observation deck. After being warned that some of the dogs are experiencing behavioral problems, Shaggy observes a pack about to attack the original smart dog prototype, Subject 24602, sensing that he is weak. As Mr. Blattsky prepares a sedative spray to calm the other dogs down, Shaggy enters the unit as he notes that the other dogs will tear 24602 apart before the sedative can take effect and orders the other subjects to retreat. Mr. Blattsky is impressed, but also observes it was foolhardy and suggests that it would be better if 24602 was simply destroyed. Shaggy objects, and offers to teach 24602 how to defend himself. Left to his own devices and regretting the contract he signed for the job, he finds that 24602 has already formed a bond with him, as well as displaying a rudimentary ability to talk.
- Mr. Blattsky (single appearance)(flashback only)
- Scrappy Gang (first appearance)(no lines)(flashback only)
- Miscellaneous scientists (single appearance)(no lines)(flashback only)
- Dr. Velma Dinkley (no lines)(flashback only)
- The Complex (flashback only)
- Kennel (flashback only)
- Fast food restaurant (flashback only)
The following credits try to match how they are displayed in the comic as much as possible:
- By: Giffen, DeMatteis & Porter
- Hi-Fi: color
- Travis Lanham: letters
- Brittany Holzherr: asst. editor
- Marie Javins: steering the mystery machine
- Shaggy's past work experience is at a fast food restaurant.
- Monsters goes into a little more detail, with Scrappy mentioning that Shaggy did treat him right (opposed to other humans).
- Scooby Apocalypse: Volume 1 (February 1, 2017).
- None known
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- Scooby's not wearing his implants in this story.
Mr. Blattsky: Well, good luck, Rogers! And if you happen to get disemboweled before the next time I see you... ...It's been a pleasure making your acquaintance!