|This needs a stretch.|
Needed: The ending of the synopsis. Not even the capture of Aphrodite has been included.
When the entire town of Crystal Cove is taken over by Aphrodite's love spell, only Scooby-Doo and the recently escaped Professor Pericles can save the gang from the spell and solve the mystery. Pericles says he can make an antidote. But does he have ulterior motives?
During a riot at the Crystal Cove High School soccer game, the hideous goddess of love appears to entrance all the students into her spell. Throwing strange flowers around each person, they slowly start to fall in love with everything in town, eventually losing their minds. The next day, the gang stand inside the hallway aware of the odd attractions between students that would have never occurred before. Once admitting that he never studied for the test, Shaggy realizes that there's a substitute teacher relieving him from the test. Shaggy went to greet the substitute only to realize that Aphrodite is posing as one. Her ugly appearance distracts Shaggy long enough for her to blow a handfull of her mysterious flowers into his face, filling him with the love that the town was filled in.
The day falls through with the Mystery Inc. being infected with the love regaining their relationships with each other. Later we find Scooby roaming the halls in search for his owner only to find both group of students tickling him and the startling Aphrodite that attempts to bring him into the love with the rest of the town. Once realizing that Scooby is immune to her spell, she demands that the adoring people capture him. Scobby, of course, runs away from the school and into the town who's eerie love begins to grow intensely. Aphrodite abuses her power, controlling the gang to run down Scooby-Doo into the road, but he narrowly escapes into an ally where he finds Pericles, escaped from prison. Scooby hardly believes Pericles when he claims he's willing to help saving the town despite his recent imprisonment and inlists Scooby's help for the ingredients to the antidote.
Pericles guides Scooby through many locations retrieving the ingredients from churches, museums, and mines in search for pewter found commonly in stained glass windows, the ectoplasm of a spirit, and Rose Quartz. After finding each successfully, they return to the school to combine them, creating a green liquid. Thinking they're safe, they're proven wrong when Aphrodite pounds down the door with her minions under her spell that have been demanded to steal the antidote before they save the town. The two are finally escaped and revive the gang back into their normal state, angering the people in the love. Angel Dynomite, who states she has no sense of smell, drives the mystery machine to their rescue from the attacking town.
The gang try to settle what really happened while they were under her love spell, and what it meant to them while shuffling through the library. Though Fred and Daphne both agree that they didn't need the spell, Velma and Shaggy are both reluctant to show their true feelings. Thinking about the attire that Aphrodite had dressed in, the gang realize she's chosen a prom dress and traced it down to a girl who was laughed out of the school by a vicious joke during prom, who's name is Amanda Smythe. The gang, with Pericles and Angel's help, then recreate the antidote into many canisters that they had disguised themselves. Dressed as the common love strucked citizens, the gang crash the prom that the citizens have created to honor the new queen of Crystal Cove, Aphrodite.
- Aphrodite (single appearance)(main story and flashback)(disguise)/
- Amanda Smythe (single appearance)(main story and flashback)
- Professor Pericles
- Mayor Fred Jones, Sr. (under love spell)(redeemed)
- Sheriff Bronson Stone (under love spell)(redeemed)
- Referee (single appearance)(no lines)
- Crystal Cove citizen (Suzie Chan lookalike) (no lines)(cameo)
- Crystal Cove citizen (Pebbles Flintstone lookalike) (no lines)(cameo)
- Dylan Ryan (no lines)
- Brenda (no lines)
- Hot Dog Water (first appearance)(no lines)(cameo)
- Gary Papluta (no lines)
- Miss Vampire Waitress (no lines)
- Ed Machine
- Crystal Cove
|Amanda Smythe as Aphrodite||Revenge over her mistreatment in high school.|
|Professor Pericles||To get items that would help him find the treasure.|
- Aphrodite's love spell can only work on humans; those that are immune are Angel who has no sense of smell and animals like Scooby and Pericles.
- It is also possible that Pericles, knowing what formula was going to be used on the town, immunized himself, but that doesn't explain the immunity of the other fauna.
- Someone getting a terrible revenge for supposedly being chosen prom queen and then humiliated by her peers is a reference to the Stephen King book (and movie) Carrie.
- This episode parallels Invasion of the Body Snatchers, including the squawking sound people make when they discover someone "not in the love".
- Two of the love-infected teenage girls at the beginning of the episode, are based on Pebbles Flintstone and Suzie Chan, from The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show and The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan, respectively.
- Fred brought his swimsuit issue of Traps Illustrated to school.
Inconsistencies/continuity errors and/or goofs/oddities
- When Aphrodite is leaning out of the Mystery Machine window when she is chasing Scooby, the Mystery Machine logo on the side of the van is reversed.
- Professor Pericles' left eye keeps switching between green and orange throughout the episode.
- Angel Dynamite rescues the gang after they're cured from the help of Pericles' and Scooby-Doo. When she realizes Pericles is there, the scene transitions and Angel isn't there all of the sudden.
- It's odd that the potion made Shaggy fall in love with Velma even though she wasn't with him when he smelled the potion.
- Matthew Lillard and Tony Cervone are credited as "Referee #1" and "Referee #2", respectively, but only one appears, and he doesn't talk.
In other languages
|Spanish (Latin America)||La Venganza de Afrodita||Revenge of Aphrodite|
|Italy||Dove Passa Afrodite||Where Passes Aphrodite|
|Hungarian||Aphrodité követői||The Followers of Aphrodite|
|Greek||Εκεί που Περπατάει η Αφροδίτη||Where Walks Aphrodite|
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: Season One, Part 2 - Crystal Cove Curse DVD set released by Warner Home Video on January 24, 2012.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The Complete Season 1 DVD set released by Warner Home Video on October 8, 2013.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystères associés: L'intégrale de la saison 1 (Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated: The entirety of season 1) DVD set released by Warner Home Video on October 3, 2012.
Ethan: Are tears of joy inappropriate?
Aphrodite: Quiet now, sweet pup. All you need is the love. (blows her love spell on Scooby, but nothing happens)
Aphrodite: They shall be made sacrifice to the goddess of love, which is to say...me!
Aphrodite: I am the goddess of love. Bow at the feet of Aphrodite!
|Previous episode:||Series:||Next episode:|
|The Wild Brood|| Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated|
|Escape from Mystery Manor|